How to disagree How to disagree
Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How to disagree

  1. #1

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    106,150

    Default How to disagree

    How to disagree well: Two close friends who have reason to hate each other - BBC News

    How to disagree better - eight tips

    You don't have to agree - disagreeing itself isn't the problem, it's how we do it

    Don't aim for the middle ground - splitting the difference isn't the answer when you fundamentally disagree

    How you talk is more important than what you talk about - "What matters is the dynamic that exists between us," says couples counsellor Esther Perel

    Speak truthfully - to form meaningful relationships what's needed is total honesty

    Listen intently and aim for empathy - it's all about "a willingness to take in what the other person says," says Esther Perel

    Dial down the rhetoric and rein in the insults - "No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement," says Harvard professor Arthur Brooks

    Understand the difference between fact and opinion - opinions are perspectives to be tested against the evidence, not just weapons to be wielded against our opponents

    Go looking for conflict - Then "listen compassionately, give your point of view and express love," says Arthur Brooks

    --------------------------------

    8 things that will never happen on CUK.
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

  2. #2

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio - scorchio!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    How to disagree well: Two close friends who have reason to hate each other - BBC News

    How to disagree better - eight tips

    You don't have to agree - disagreeing itself isn't the problem, it's how we do it

    Don't aim for the middle ground - splitting the difference isn't the answer when you fundamentally disagree

    How you talk is more important than what you talk about - "What matters is the dynamic that exists between us," says couples counsellor Esther Perel

    Speak truthfully - to form meaningful relationships what's needed is total honesty

    Listen intently and aim for empathy - it's all about "a willingness to take in what the other person says," says Esther Perel

    Dial down the rhetoric and rein in the insults - "No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement," says Harvard professor Arthur Brooks

    Understand the difference between fact and opinion - opinions are perspectives to be tested against the evidence, not just weapons to be wielded against our opponents

    Go looking for conflict - Then "listen compassionately, give your point of view and express love," says Arthur Brooks

    --------------------------------

    8 things that will never happen on CUK.
    I disagree...
    Blog? What blog...?

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    Complete Horsetulip! 🌷
    Last edited by GJABS; 24th December 2019 at 08:53.

  4. #4

    I live on CUK

    Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

    Old Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Tombliboo Bush
    Posts
    22,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

  5. #5

    Godlike

    Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

    Zigenare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    5,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    How to disagree well: Two close friends who have reason to hate each other - BBC News

    How to disagree better - eight tips

    You don't have to agree - disagreeing itself isn't the problem, it's how we do it

    Don't aim for the middle ground - splitting the difference isn't the answer when you fundamentally disagree

    How you talk is more important than what you talk about - "What matters is the dynamic that exists between us," says couples counsellor Esther Perel

    Speak truthfully - to form meaningful relationships what's needed is total honesty

    Listen intently and aim for empathy - it's all about "a willingness to take in what the other person says," says Esther Perel

    Dial down the rhetoric and rein in the insults - "No one in history has ever been insulted into agreement," says Harvard professor Arthur Brooks

    Understand the difference between fact and opinion - opinions are perspectives to be tested against the evidence, not just weapons to be wielded against our opponents

    Go looking for conflict - Then "listen compassionately, give your point of view and express love," says Arthur Brooks

    --------------------------------

    8 things that will never happen on CUK.
    Your opinions are tulip! Really tulip!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

  6. #6

    More fingers than teeth

    xoggoth is a fount of knowledge

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    13,337

    Default

    Much better to just shoot any bar steward who disagrees with you, puts an end to the arguments once and for all. In many ways, cavemen were much more sensible.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  7. #7

    Banned

    mb31 is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Rehab
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Listen intently and aim for empathy - it's all about "a willingness to take in what the other person says,"

    Go looking for conflict - Then "listen compassionately, give your point of view and express love," says Arthur Brooks

    --------------------------------

    8 things that will never happen on CUK.
    Actually, that's what seems to be going on behind the scenes by PM. My worst enemies on the public forum are attentive lovers on the quiet.

  8. #8

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    106,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mb31 View Post
    Actually, that's what seems to be going on behind the scenes by PM. My worst enemies on the public forum are attentive lovers on the quiet.
    If it is NLUK you had better keep quiet. PC will get jealous....
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

  9. #9

    Godlike

    ladymuck is always on top

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Much better to just shoot any bar steward who disagrees with you, puts an end to the arguments once and for all. In many ways, cavemen were much more sensible.
    If I shot bar stewards, I'd have to give up drinking
    Last edited by ladymuck; 24th December 2019 at 12:24.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •