• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

20 years ago - what were you doing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 months into my first ever contract. SAP/Unix support at HP in Bristol.

£35 an hour if I remember correctly. Those were the days - hourly rates.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You may not be unsurprised to know I did do a stint behind the bar of a night club for a short while in the early 2000's. Far too much like hard work all for a measly £25 a night, taxed at emergency rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        We would have been at CSFB at the same time. I was there from Jul 1999 to Oct 2000. Equities. It was the tail end of the Wild West years. Attitudes were changing pretty quickly around that time.
        That was a bit short; what went wrong?

I remained there some time, was on the floor September 2001 - watched the second plane hit on live TV monitors. Terrible times as the dot-com bubble burst.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
          That was a bit short; what went wrong?

I remained there some time, was on the floor September 2001 - watched the second plane hit on live TV monitors. Terrible times as the dot-com bubble burst.
          Got better offer. Went to HSBC IB and like you saw the second plane hit live. I did go back to CS for a bit recently.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            After reading a theregistor.co.uk article, I just wonder what the denizens were up to 20 years ago this day.

I was working on a SAP project for a government department. Low hours, high pay and a licensed bar in the basement. But NYE, my family and I went to a village party. I remember most people brought their kids, so there were chairs pushed together from about 10pm onwards, so the little darlings could sleep. My little darlings were tough enough to curl up on coats on the floor.
            What? No hospital beds available?

I was contracting in Germany but spent NYE - after an interesting drive through snow from Ulm - at a rather nice hostelry owned by friends in Roquefort Les Pins.

My Y2K stuff was done, tested and verified well before 1999, why wasn't everyone elses?
            Last edited by Zigenare; 3 January 2020, 06:42.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
              What? No hospital beds available?
              In a village hall? That would be unusual.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                In a village hall? That would be unusual.
                Just thought I'd ask.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                X