• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are you doing differently in 2020?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    We're hoping to sell up and downsize. That way I have the option of instant retirement. Staying on the South Coast but moving towards Hayling Island to be closer to the water.
    Hoping to makes steps towards moving a lot further along the South of England maybe towards Dorset/Devon and get a bit more land.

Hayling is nice. It's a bit far for us for dog walks, we tend to go to Wittering or Ferring.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

My back went at the end of last year which buggered up my goal list and I have to remove the heavy lifting from my routine at least for a few months so ...

Do the swing/burpee ladder in less than 12 minutes
      Complete the Magic 50 in less than 10 minutes
      Do a muscle up
      Actually get the monthly board gaming nights up and running like I was trying to do last year and never seemed to have time.
      Get a visible 6 pack by July
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
        This Thai Hospital Gives You Instant Six-Pack Abs

Comment

Exercise I s’pose...
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Exercise I s’pose...
            So not trying to be nasty mod instead of nice mod?

Comment

In 2019 I finished a role in March with the plan to take most of the year off .... I ended up picking up another role in May that I finished in December

Now I'm 'retired', which is a bit bizarre to say at only 49, but the aim is to be a full time carer for the wife, keep her working to cover bills etc. I'll be a house-husband, nurse, cook, gardener.

Saying that, a consultancy has contacted me about some potential work, 2 days a week fully from home which I am considering. It's 50/50 at the moment and whether it comes to fruition or not is a bit meh to be honest. Would be interesting work and keep my brain active, but my main focus has to be looking after the wife.

I aim to cycle more this year - I did 8500 KMs in 2019 so I want to exceed that distance this year. I also want to lose more weight so I can get my watts/kg to about 3.6+ (cyclists will know what I mean). I'm at 3.1 at the moment for an hour race. I have a new Specialized Roubaix Expert with Di2 so I plan to get out a bit on that once the weather gets better.

Finally, and most importantly, I plan to keep my wife well for another year. Our time is short and precious hence why I'm pulling out of work for now.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

That has been my goal for many years

Comment

What I will do different this year that after 15 years of contracting I will look for a permie job thanks to IR35.

Comment

You can get one for less than a tenner

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                      How much does it cost to learn bricklaying? Did you finish the course feeling totally confident you could knock out a solid wall?
                      I did a total of three days at my local college for £250 all in. It got me to the stage where I felt I could tackle a simple wall. I knew in theory how to do things properly, what I lacked was the practice. I'll be honest, I feel that I could do any small walls or paving in the garden but would want more practice before I tackled something more serious, plus I'm getting on a bit now. I think it'd end up like my wallpapering - I can do it, I'm not very good at it (so I don't enjoy it so much) and I've got a guy who can paper a whole wall in an hour for £50....

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      Hoping to makes steps towards moving a lot further along the South of England maybe towards Dorset/Devon and get a bit more land. Hayling is nice. It's a bit far for us for dog walks, we tend to go to Wittering or Ferring.
                      Nice. We're looking at Langstone or Emsworth. We don't actually want a big house or garden just somewhere I can build a large garage\workshop to indulge my various hobbies.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X