• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ethical veganism is a belief protected by law, tribunal rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    He disclosed private company information but has been let off because he eats plants. Wow.
    No he hasn't. Part one is whether his defence is tenable. If ethical veganism was found to not be a protected belief, then he would have lost there and then. Now that it has been so found, the the tribunal moves to part 2 - whether he was sacked for his beliefs or not.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I hate the idea of having to have an extreme diet - such as eating local and seasonal.

We should be allowed to fly our strawberries from Peru so we can have them on Christmas day, this idea of balanced diets is not like what we had when TheBore was young. Back then we had Gerry, the Blitz and rationing.

Today we have obesity, diabetes and climate change. And it's our right not to be radicalised into trying to reduce these diseases. Bring back smog and lead in petrol I say!
      There were 3 billion people on the planet in 1960, now there are 7.7 billion. An elephant in the room that doesn't get mentioned much...
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

There were 3 billion people on the planet in 1960, now there are 7.7 billion. An elephant in the room that doesn't get mentioned much...

It does get mentioned, but the normal response is that people in poorer countries must be stopped from breeding and there's nothing that can or should be done in wealthier countries.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sounds like a recipe for fun, simply refuse to come to work because your coworkers are wearing leather shoes and coats, and you refuse to be part of a company that profits from such things.

Boom, can't fire me for my ethical beliefs.

I mean is there much difference in putting animal fat in your machine lubricants vs putting animal fat in your workers? The company could choose to use machines and people that do not consume animal products.

The whole thing sounds like one giant animal product of the male bovine variety to me.

Comment

It does get mentioned, but the normal response is that people in poorer countries must be stopped from breeding and there's nothing that can or should be done in wealthier countries.
            Everyone needs to do their bit. I was talking to a colleague from India and cutting down on breeding got mentioned over there. Those of the religion of peace were dead set against it because it was their God-given right to breed and have a big family. No helping some people - we definitely need a Thanos moment or some chlorine in the gene pool.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
              Sounds like a recipe for fun, simply refuse to come to work because your coworkers are wearing leather shoes and coats, and you refuse to be part of a company that profits from such things.

Boom, can't fire me for my ethical beliefs.

I mean is there much difference in putting animal fat in your machine lubricants vs putting animal fat in your workers? The company could choose to use machines and people that do not consume animal products.

The whole thing sounds like one giant animal product of the male bovine variety to me.

Or not. But slippery slopes are great things.

Did you read what the story was actually about?

The guy's problem is that an organisation that's supposed to be about animal welfare was actually investing in companies that did animal testing.

He will probably (hopefully) still end up sacked for leaking company information, but if it is found that he made the company aware and they chose to do nothing, then the result could be different.

As for your slippery slope, if someone chooses to take a job in an organisation that they detest, that's their problem.
              If they choose to break the rules and get sacked for it, it's nothing to do with belief.

Do you spot the difference between that and your slippery spin?

Comment

Everyone needs to do their bit. I was talking to a colleague from India and cutting down on breeding got mentioned over there. Those of the religion of peace were dead set against it because it was their God-given right to breed and have a big family. No helping some people - we definitely need a Thanos moment or some chlorine in the gene pool.

How many couples in the UK or US have more than 1 child? Those from the religion of child abuse and no contraception tend to have big families too, don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  so???
                  So bulltulip just like any eeligion

Comment

Bring back smog and lead in petrol I say!
                    Cue long-winded and boring rant about how the EU removed lead from petrol, thus eliminating classic cars from the roads. Followed by an even more boring rant about how much classic car owners add to the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                      Cue long-winded and boring rant about how the EU removed lead from petrol, thus eliminating classic cars from the roads. Followed by an even more boring rant about how much classic car owners add to the economy.

It keeps him occupied, more than his job does, and more than the salary he pays his wife. HMRC will have a field day when they catch up with him

Comment

Working...
                      X