• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travelex hacked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travelex hacked

Hackers are holding foreign exchange company Travelex to ransom after a cyber-attack forced the firm to turn off all computer systems and resort to using pen and paper.
    On New Year's Eve, hackers launched their attack on the Travelex network.

They also have not reported the breach to the ICO within 72 hours - they are going to get a monster fine also

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Hackers are holding foreign exchange company Travelex to ransom after a cyber-attack forced the firm to turn off all computer systems and resort to using pen and paper.
    On New Year's Eve, hackers launched their attack on the Travelex network.

They also have not reported the breach to the ICO within 72 hours - they are going to get a monster fine also

I suspect they aren't long for this world.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

They only need to report a breach if personal information was stolen. Last I heard, they claimed there was no data leak, just a virus that was interrupting normal operations.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        They only need to report a breach if personal information was stolen. Last I heard, they claimed there was no data leak, just a virus that was interrupting normal operations.
        Which was the attack philosophy of REvil two years ago - nowadays they copy interesting data and use GDPR theft as a ransom justification.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Having contracted in their Peterborough office, i am not surprised this happened

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Unfortunately

The gang, also known as REvil, claims to have gained access to the company's computer network six months ago and to have downloaded 5GB of sensitive customer data.
            Dates of birth, credit card information and national insurance numbers are all in their possession, they say.

Comment

What are the chances they are asking for payment in anything other than cryptotulips?

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Having contracted in their Peterborough office, i am not surprised this happened
                Now you've mentioned that nor am I now.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  Can you say any more? Is it outsourcing that caused this? A focus on profits above everything else? A bad workplace culture?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Can you say any more? Is it outsourcing that caused this? A focus on profits above everything else? A bad workplace culture?
                    The third one, which lead to the second one and has now caused the 4th one.

Comment

Working...
                    X