A Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashes killing all onboard A Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashes killing all onboard - Page 24
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Posts 231 to 240 of 241

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Unbelievable how many conspiracy idiots there are on this forum
    Terrifying you mean. Between Walter Mitty "experts" and the tin foil hat brigade this has got to be one of the most pathetic and ridiculous threads I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum

Fingers like lightning

DealorNoDeal 's job has never been outsourced

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Unbelievable how many conspiracy idiots there are on this forum
    Just because they're conspiracy idiots, doesn't mean there isn't a conspiracy.

Super poster

DoctorStrangelove is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Terrifying you mean. Between Walter Mitty "experts" and the tin foil hat brigade this has got to be one of the most pathetic and ridiculous threads I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum
    Haven't been here long then, Specifically In General?
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Super poster

Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    I’m rather more drawn to:

1. People under extreme stress often make mistakes;
    2. When the people under extreme stress are in control of guided missiles, their mistakes can have terrible consequences.

Occam’s Razor, don’t you know. There's a similar example of that situation arising in the same part of the world involving two of the same participants: Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia

You don't have to be under extreme stress, sometimes training takes over and a step of events practiced time and again get carried out.

Back in the day (Circa 1989) I had to investigate a Phantom Radar for faults after the following happened.

A F4 with a full missile load on QRA in Germany scrambled to intercept some pesky Russian bombers. All went normal, F4 turned up, Russians waved and turned back. On the way back the F4 spotted a Jaguar on a training flight and requested a unplanned practice intercept. Jag said yes and off they went. Any way F4 pilot got carried away and forgot he had live missiles on board and so therefore set his MASS to LIVE, once in range he set a live AIM_9L off at the Jag. Luckily protocol dictated that radio contact was maintained and he managed to get the Jag Pilot to eject and live happily ever after.

Moral of the story, even a highly trained intelligent airman can feck up with live missiles, even in a training event.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Double Godlike!

Paddy is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
    You don't have to be under extreme stress, sometimes training takes over and a step of events practiced time and again get carried out.

Back in the day (Circa 1989) I had to investigate a Phantom Radar for faults after the following happened.

A F4 with a full missile load on QRA in Germany scrambled to intercept some pesky Russian bombers. All went normal, F4 turned up, Russians waved and turned back. On the way back the F4 spotted a Jaguar on a training flight and requested a unplanned practice intercept. Jag said yes and off they went. Any way F4 pilot got carried away and forgot he had live missiles on board and so therefore set his MASS to LIVE, once in range he set a live AIM_9L off at the Jag. Luckily protocol dictated that radio contact was maintained and he managed to get the Jag Pilot to eject and live happily ever after.

Moral of the story, even a highly trained intelligent airman can feck up with live missiles, even in a training event.
    Do you know that you a still bound by the Official Secrets Act?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post

This is a really interesting point of view - many years ago a parachutist died and from what the investigation could conclude, her main had opened just fine but she then jettisoned it.

I have no idea what the offical outcome was, but a parachutist I knew commented that they spend a huge amount of time in training presuming that their canopy wasn't going to open. He himself commented that on his first jump he was almost surprised to look up and see it there. The question therefore is - was she simply following her training upto that point (I.e. One thousand, two thousand, three thousand, check canopy. Canopy failed, cut away)

I have to say, I find the human factors in these things absolutely fascinating. It's terrifying how crap we are.

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I doubt he's got too much to worry about: Former RAF Jaguar pilot tells the story of when he was shot down by a RAF Phantom interceptor - The Aviation Geek Club

Also echos of this:

Training exercise Pc Ian Terry 'unlawfully killed' | The Independent

On seeing him holding the gun, his colleague, granted anonymity and identified only as Chris during the inquest, acted "instinctively"
    Watch and shoot, indeed.
    Last edited by vwdan; 12th January 2020 at 15:19.

Super poster

Gibbon is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    Public Knowledge.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Fingers like lightning

DealorNoDeal 's job has never been outsourced

Exclamation Breaking news

It was Colonel Mustard in the library with a candle stick.

Godlike

Peoplesoft bloke is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    You make that sound like a bad thing.