• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashes killing all onboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    See that rectangular hole in the HPCT casing? The HPCT sits right behind the combustor. The casing appears bent outward around the hole.

If this accident amounts to a high energy debris release on such a new engine with few flight cycles, then we have ourselves an infant mortality event, which would suggest there are other engines out there with the same flaw.

This is a CFM engine. CFM International is a joint venture between GE Aviation and Safran Aircraft Engines.

Here's a image with more resolution, casing clearly deformed in the outward direction.

You're seeing what you want to see. If you look to the right of that hole you'll see the casing is deformed with a ridge around it. That's most likely caused by the impact of the right hand side with the ground. This has caused the casing to buckle. At any weak point (related or unrelated to the crash), the buckling can create tears in the metal or force it in or out.
    It is not definite proof that there is a generic fault in the engine design - and you might want to take that and post it not he website you copied it from. Clearly a bunch of conspiracy theorists and not mechanical engineers, like wot some of us are qualified as on here
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You're seeing what you want to see. If you look to the right of that hole you'll see the casing is deformed with a ridge around it. That's most likely caused by the impact of the right hand side with the ground. This has caused the casing to buckle. At any weak point (related or unrelated to the crash), the buckling can create tears in the metal or force it in or out.
      It is not definite proof that there is a generic fault in the engine design - and you might want to take that and post it not he website you copied it from. Clearly a bunch of conspiracy theorists and not mechanical engineers, like wot some of us are qualified as on here
      1) Nope. I'm seeing something I've seen before. I'm an aerospace safety engineer. The hole shape and size is remarkably similar with a Christmas tree burst.

2) Never said it was a design flaw. 95% of all failures are manufacturing failures, not design.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I'm an aerospace safety engineer
        This is what makes your posts in this thread, and others, all the more exceptionally frustrating to me. As if you have, in all seriousness, come here with a single photo of wreckage and attempted to explain an air crash that we currently know *nothing* about. You of all people should know how foolish and inappropriate that is.

And then to be posting scaremongering tulipe like this:

, then we have ourselves an infant mortality event, which would suggest there are other engines out there with the same flaw.
        I can see why you got so upset with me calling you out over the V1 Engine Failure comments you made where, instead of responding, you had a sulk and left. I have no idea what your qualifications and experience are, but once again you're acting no better than your average half-cocked Internet poster. Which if you *are* qualified, you should bloody know better. Starting with the deliberate conflation with the 737MAX and NG - almost every post in this thread has been deliberately misleading.

I look forward to another dismissive "calm down dear" response, where you address no points whatsoever and are incapable of ever admitting perhaps you were wrong to imply something. Just remember, everybody else can read the thread too
        Last edited by vwdan; 9 January 2020, 12:20.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          This is what makes your posts in this thread, and others, all the more exceptionally frustrating to me. As if you have, in all seriousness, come here with a single photo of wreckage and attempted to explain an air crash that we currently know *nothing* about. You of all people should know how foolish and inappropriate that is.
          It's not an explanation of what happened. That was never said. It is only my opinion based on experience.

Deep breath, calm down dear.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's not an explanation of what happened. That was never said. It is only my opinion based on experience.

How much experience do you have of investigating air crashes? Just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              How much experience do you have of investigating air crashes? Just asking.
              Crashes = 0

Failures that lead to them = 20+ years

Since 2005 I've certainly averted two air incidents buy instructing a certain carrier to swap engines with other aircraft in their fleet to reduce risk.

Comment

Crashes = 0

Failures that lead to them = 20+ years

Since 2005 I've certainly averted two air incidents buy instructing a certain carrier to swap engines with other aircraft in their fleet to reduce risk.
                Hope they haven't seen your investment advice on here. Not sure they will listen next time if they have.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The problem is, it's an opinion presented as near-fact without a shred of humility or qualification. And just like many of your posts, with that additional smattering of fear mongering that you just can't help include. I find it very peculiar, to be frank. To then push back against somebody with "I'm seeing something I've seen before. I'm an aerospace safety engineer." I still just find exceptional. Would you go on national TV, with your real name, and present such statements? Probably not, because if the rest of the industry saw they'd be less than impressed.

If you have the knowledge of jet engines you imply then I'm sure everybody would welcome some insight - it's certainly interesting discussion. But it's funny, the aerospace engineers I know - the type who actually work for these firms and design components - are all keeping quiet, or posting opinions with lots of cautious qualifying statements.

Not ScooterScot, though, he's never flying Boeing again.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Hope they haven't seen your investment advice on here. Not sure they will listen next time if they have.

Übung macht den meister meine kleine Käse.

Comment

Do Boeing use AMD chips in their engines?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X