• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashes killing all onboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    Iran plane crash: Ukrainian jet was 'unintentionally' shot down - BBC News

Seems like the cretinous incredulous reactions that it could be Iran can rest.
    Now that Iran have defied all the odds and actually admitted it, do you reckon our resident aviation expert will show some humility and admit that perhaps he made some incorrect conclusions based on insufficient facts and knowledge.

Can't help but feel that his immediate conclusion that it was the manufacturers fault, forensic analysis of the engine and then missile identification were, maybe, somewhat flawed. I say maybe in light of the fact that everything he's concluded in this thread has been shown to be incorrect.

Personally, I'd be horrified to have my name and reputation associated with this sort of idiotic Internet air crash investigation......

Now, was somebody giving some tips on stocks?

I will say, I'm both shocked and somewhat impressed that they've admitted it. Though given their initial output, the cynic in me says it's only in the face of overwhelming evidence.
    Last edited by vwdan; 11 January 2020, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Now that Iran have defied all the odds and actually admitted it, do you reckon our resident aviation expert will show some humility and admit that perhaps he made some incorrect conclusions based on insufficient facts and knowledge.

Can't help but feel that his immediate conclusion that it was the manufacturers fault, forensic analysis of the engine and then missile identification were, maybe, somewhat flawed. I say maybe in light of the fact that everything he's concluded in this thread has been shown to be incorrect.

Personally, I'd be horrified to have my name and reputation associated with this sort of idiotic Internet air crash investigation......

I will say, I'm both shocked and somewhat impressed that they've admitted it. Though given their initial output, the cynic in me says it's only in the face of overwhelming evidence.
      Of course he won't, egos' too big. Wrong on crypto, wrong on stock market, wrong on AMD.

Dunning–Kruger effect - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

He was warned that he was likely to get his arse handed to him.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Video footage shows one engine exploding in mid-air just after takeoff. It then plummeted out of control. My bet is on a re-fueling issue at Tehran.
          Wrong.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Wrong.
            Indeed. It was all the American's fault. Iran sauid so. Hence it must be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
              Is my guess and for some reason the bleed valves didn't dissipate the internal pressure in time, therefore the bits of superheated tungsten from the turbine would have cut through the casing on all sides. TO and CLMB are when the engine is under the most pressure. A recent example was the Quantas A380, they were in a cruise so got away with it.
              Wrong.

Comment

Coincidences do happen but planes don't crash very often and for one to crash in a country which has just launched a missile attack is a bit too much of a coincidence.

Whoever had the itchy trigger finger may be parted from more than their fingers in the coming days. When the Iranians say heads will roll...
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                  This thread derailed rather quickly I see.

The Financial Times closed comments on the story quickly, due to trolls spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories.

The most recommended comment is worth copying and pasting here, as it is a crucial reminder to remember that triple figures have lost their lives and deserve a thorough investigation by professionals, not internet forum personalities and troll factories:

"I am appalled to see some of the comments below, on the FT of all places.
                  "Alright mate.... I know naff all about planes or general aviation mechanics BUT I reckon: _______"

I don't give a hoot what any of you 'reckon' and so you, like a good amateur dramatist, should wait until investigation has at least occurred. The majority of passengers were Iranian and even though mentioned as Canadian are dual-nationals and of Iranian heritage. Given the damage and passenger nationalities this does indeed appear a sad accident indeed. However don't listen to your imaginings nor mine; have patience and wait for the reports.

The FT needs to get into 2020 with thorough moderation comments section in which random usernames spread suspiciously aggressive scorn, such as "It's obvious Iran fires a missile at this plane."

Aye right mate, get back to the day job!"

Someone replies:
                  "How would you presume some of us are not qualified? I've been in the aviation & defence industry for 42 years. Flown Capt Airbus, Boeing & more. I live in the Middle East."

Comment author responds:
                  "I've driven cars for nearly forty years but don't consider myself suitable to conduct police car crash investigations into complex incidents requiring expert analyses and rigorous procedure.

If you are the logical type then I'm sure you'll similarly agree that there is no correlation between the two; I've flown too and I really hate amateur investigators' indifference to the professional aircraft crash investigation.

As I read your comment I see arrogance and the mention of qualities that don't help me understand why you think you'll know better or even have any clue as to the truth of this accident/incident versus a true crash investigation team. It smacks of arrogance and an undeserved elevated status, as can be seen throughout this comments section."
                  You(The OP in the FT forum) need to go and wash that egg off your face - it makes you look silly.
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 11 January 2020, 09:10.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    See that rectangular hole in the HPCT casing? The HPCT sits right behind the combustor. The casing appears bent outward around the hole.

If this accident amounts to a high energy debris release on such a new engine with few flight cycles, then we have ourselves an infant mortality event, which would suggest there are other engines out there with the same flaw.

This is a CFM engine. CFM International is a joint venture between GE Aviation and Safran Aircraft Engines.

Here's a image with more resolution, casing clearly deformed in the outward direction.

Spectacularly wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                      Is my guess and for some reason the bleed valves didn't dissipate the internal pressure in time, therefore the bits of superheated tungsten from the turbine would have cut through the casing on all sides. TO and CLMB are when the engine is under the most pressure. A recent example was the Quantas A380, they were in a cruise so got away with it.
                      ROFL, this forum loves applying the opposite of Occam's Razor.

Comment

Working...
                      X