• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashes killing all onboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    What possible reason could the Iranians have for admitting they shot down a civilian plane when they didn't?
    Now you're asking the right questions.

Will make an engineer out of you yet.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Now you're asking the right questions.

Will make an engineer out of you yet.
      I'm not even sure I want to carry on piloting based on the engineering in this thread.

So what's your hypothesis?

Comment

So what's your hypothesis?
        I like facts. I most certainly don't rely on the news for my information.

10 other flights departed before flight PS752, with the same fight path - why did alleged itchy trigger finger not take them out too? After all the armed guards are now on high alert.

Following the accidental strike, 19 other flights departed from the airport with the same flight path! Why did the guards not inform the tower of their horrific error and halt all departures?

What made flight PS752 special that separated it from other departures?

Prior to take off the flight was delayed for 1-hour. Why was this?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

10 other flights departed before flight PS752, with the same fight path - why did alleged itchy trigger finger not take them out too? After all the armed guards are now on high alert.

Following the accidental strike, 19 other flights departed from the airport with the same flight path! Why did the guards not inform the tower of their horrific error and halt all departures?

The delay was alleged to be because of an engine fault. (There is also a shortage of Boeing spares in Iran). The initial reports were that the aircraft turned back for two minutes. The flight path seems to have come near to a military base.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Due to expected counter attack AA units were delegated to make decisions on tactical level without approval from HQ (as in event of attack approval may arrive too late), civilian foreign aircraft won’t have foe-friend chips, so some eager PoS shot it down...
              This

Comment

Here’s an article with the full statement to a press conference of Commander of the Aerospace Force of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Amir-Ali Hajizadeh: IRGC Releases Details of Accidental Downing of Ukrainian Plane | Iran Front Page (translated from, I presume, Farsi).

TLDR: they were on the highest state of alert, with reports of US cruise missiles incoming, though those turned out to be incorrect. The missile batteries on the ground had requested that all civilian flights be grounded, which is usual in that state of alert, but for some reason that never happened. The battery responsible detected the aircraft and, believing civilian flights were grounded, assumed it to be a cruise missile. They should have got approval for firing, but their communications weren’t working, whether because of interference or the systems being swamped by comms traffic, and with 10 seconds to decide what to do, the operator chose to launch a missile. Then there are more details of how the initial investigation was handled, and how it will henceforth be handled.

At least some of the questions that have been raised so far in this thread are answered in there, should you choose to read the whole thing rather than my brief summary.

Comment

What possible reason could the Iranians have for admitting they shot down a civilian plane when they didn't?
                  Covering up something worse?

I'm not actually advocating that. I think it was the simplest explanation. Perhaps though the plane did suffer some fault that caused it to be too close to an airbase. We can't find out now, because the crash site has not been left pristine for investigators.

Interesting article in the Times about the problems totalitarian regimes have when dealing with disasters. They can't cover up, but they're really crap about being transparent. Hence, the hard of thinking come up with conspiracy theories, when simple incompetence is explanation enough.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Admitting what was most certainly was mistake makes it a lot easier for them - it’s mainly a question of financial compensation now, whuch is much cheaper than possible harsh sanctions for denying it

Comment

The Russians got the Iranians to take it out because it was Ukranian.
                      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                      X