• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Ukrainian Boeing-737 crashes killing all onboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Unbelievable how many conspiracy idiots there are on this forum
    Terrifying you mean. Between Walter Mitty "experts" and the tin foil hat brigade this has got to be one of the most pathetic and ridiculous threads I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      Unbelievable how many conspiracy idiots there are on this forum
      Just because they're conspiracy idiots, doesn't mean there isn't a conspiracy.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        Terrifying you mean. Between Walter Mitty "experts" and the tin foil hat brigade this has got to be one of the most pathetic and ridiculous threads I've ever had the misfortune to read on this forum
        Haven't been here long then, Specifically In General?
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I’m rather more drawn to:
          1. People under extreme stress often make mistakes;
          2. When the people under extreme stress are in control of guided missiles, their mistakes can have terrible consequences.

Occam’s Razor, don’t you know. There's a similar example of that situation arising in the same part of the world involving two of the same participants: Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia

You don't have to be under extreme stress, sometimes training takes over and a step of events practiced time and again get carried out.

Back in the day (Circa 1989) I had to investigate a Phantom Radar for faults after the following happened.

A F4 with a full missile load on QRA in Germany scrambled to intercept some pesky Russian bombers. All went normal, F4 turned up, Russians waved and turned back. On the way back the F4 spotted a Jaguar on a training flight and requested a unplanned practice intercept. Jag said yes and off they went. Any way F4 pilot got carried away and forgot he had live missiles on board and so therefore set his MASS to LIVE, once in range he set a live AIM_9L off at the Jag. Luckily protocol dictated that radio contact was maintained and he managed to get the Jag Pilot to eject and live happily ever after.

Moral of the story, even a highly trained intelligent airman can feck up with live missiles, even in a training event.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            You don't have to be under extreme stress, sometimes training takes over and a step of events practiced time and again get carried out.

Back in the day (Circa 1989) I had to investigate a Phantom Radar for faults after the following happened.

A F4 with a full missile load on QRA in Germany scrambled to intercept some pesky Russian bombers. All went normal, F4 turned up, Russians waved and turned back. On the way back the F4 spotted a Jaguar on a training flight and requested a unplanned practice intercept. Jag said yes and off they went. Any way F4 pilot got carried away and forgot he had live missiles on board and so therefore set his MASS to LIVE, once in range he set a live AIM_9L off at the Jag. Luckily protocol dictated that radio contact was maintained and he managed to get the Jag Pilot to eject and live happily ever after.

Moral of the story, even a highly trained intelligent airman can feck up with live missiles, even in a training event.
            Do you know that you a still bound by the Official Secrets Act?
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

This is a really interesting point of view - many years ago a parachutist died and from what the investigation could conclude, her main had opened just fine but she then jettisoned it.

I have no idea what the offical outcome was, but a parachutist I knew commented that they spend a huge amount of time in training presuming that their canopy wasn't going to open. He himself commented that on his first jump he was almost surprised to look up and see it there. The question therefore is - was she simply following her training upto that point (I.e. One thousand, two thousand, three thousand, check canopy. Canopy failed, cut away)

I have to say, I find the human factors in these things absolutely fascinating. It's terrifying how crap we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I doubt he's got too much to worry about: Former RAF Jaguar pilot tells the story of when he was shot down by a RAF Phantom interceptor - The Aviation Geek Club

Also echos of this:

Training exercise Pc Ian Terry 'unlawfully killed' | The Independent

On seeing him holding the gun, his colleague, granted anonymity and identified only as Chris during the inquest, acted "instinctively"
                Watch and shoot, indeed.
                Last edited by vwdan; 12 January 2020, 15:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Public Knowledge.
                  But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Breaking news

It was Colonel Mustard in the library with a candle stick.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      You make that sound like a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X