• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oldest material on Earth discovered

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldest material on Earth discovered

And it is not WTFH's "jokes"....

Oldest material on Earth discovered - BBC News

Stars roaring to life? How so?

I don't believe there's much sound to be had in a vacuum and I am also given to believe that there can be no sound if there is nothing to detect it...

So, if something was detecting sound 7.5 billion years ago, who/what was it?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I am also given to believe that there can be no sound if there is nothing to detect it...
      It depends whether it's a tree.

Comment

Have they benchmarked this against some of our more, er, distinguished members?

Comment

I don't believe there's much sound to be had in a vacuum and I am also given to believe that there can be no sound if there is nothing to detect it...

Maybe 7.5 billion years ago the universe was smaller and so more dense thus possibly there is 'enough' of a medium for sound to propagate?

But probably not - I think the while roaring thing is a bit of poetic licence on behalf of the BBC.

Although as an aside apparently when people who have been deaf suddenly get to be able to hear they are surprised the sun does not make a noise....

Comment

They need to check the bottom of Admins wallet. I'm sure there is something older in there that hasn't been disturbed for eons.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well... if you were in the photosphere, you'd very very briefly hear very loud noises.
              I suspect the term is being used figuratively.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Bears farting in the woods?
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

We perceive atmospheric pressure changes in a certain range as sound. Those atmospheric pressure changes are, essentially, sound. Using special tools we can detect those pressure changes even beyond what we can hear. So yes, sound does exist even if there's no-one to hear it.

A more interesting question is whether the quantum wave function collapses if there's no-one to observe it?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Wouldn't the particle be rather more likely to be the result of a stellar death?

As in a nova or a supernova?

That's when most of the metals* are produced from the primordial hydrogen, helium, & touch of lithium.

*Where "metals" are elements that are not H, He, or Li.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X