Oldest material on Earth discovered Oldest material on Earth discovered
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Default Oldest material on Earth discovered

And it is not WTFH's "jokes"....

Oldest material on Earth discovered - BBC News
    Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

Godlike

ladymuck is always on top

Stars roaring to life? How so?

I don't believe there's much sound to be had in a vacuum and I am also given to believe that there can be no sound if there is nothing to detect it...

So, if something was detecting sound 7.5 billion years ago, who/what was it?

Godlike

jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I am also given to believe that there can be no sound if there is nothing to detect it...
    It depends whether it's a tree.

Godlike

jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

Have they benchmarked this against some of our more, er, distinguished members?

Double Godlike!

original PM is a fount of knowledge

I don't believe there's much sound to be had in a vacuum and I am also given to believe that there can be no sound if there is nothing to detect it...

Maybe 7.5 billion years ago the universe was smaller and so more dense thus possibly there is 'enough' of a medium for sound to propagate?

But probably not - I think the while roaring thing is a bit of poetic licence on behalf of the BBC.

Although as an aside apparently when people who have been deaf suddenly get to be able to hear they are surprised the sun does not make a noise....

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

They need to check the bottom of Admins wallet. I'm sure there is something older in there that hasn't been disturbed for eons.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Well... if you were in the photosphere, you'd very very briefly hear very loud noises.
    I suspect the term is being used figuratively.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Godlike

Mordac is a fount of knowledge

Bears farting in the woods?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

We perceive atmospheric pressure changes in a certain range as sound. Those atmospheric pressure changes are, essentially, sound. Using special tools we can detect those pressure changes even beyond what we can hear. So yes, sound does exist even if there's no-one to hear it.

A more interesting question is whether the quantum wave function collapses if there's no-one to observe it?
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Super poster

DoctorStrangelove is always on top

Wouldn't the particle be rather more likely to be the result of a stellar death?

As in a nova or a supernova?

That's when most of the metals* are produced from the primordial hydrogen, helium, & touch of lithium.

*Where "metals" are elements that are not H, He, or Li.
    When the fun stops, STOP.