• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why big corp and hmrc have a dislike for contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nico View Post
    Very difficult to focus on the question when people don't know the difference between its and it's, your and you're and lose and loose.

Lose = To lose something "I've lost my keys"
    Loose = Something is loose "My jeans are loose fitting"
    Loose lips lose ships (to paraphrase)

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      1. They don't understand contractors. You kill what you fear. You fear what you don't understand.
      2. Contractors dislike other contractors. They think they are special. In fact, they are just the same. Until we learn we support each other we are stuffed.

I have only seen the light recently. I wish I had the foresight of NAT.....
      Managers can't understand why someone of my experience doesn't get a hard-on for back-stabbing, greasy pole climbing and office politics. Senior permies resent me fixing the problems they've been sweating for a year in two weeks and the manager in point #1 noticing.

Do my job and leave, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by nico View Post
        Very difficult to focus on the question when people don't know the difference between its and it's, your and you're and lose and loose.

Lose = To lose something "I've lost my keys"
        Loose = Something is loose "My jeans are loose fitting"
        and when they type "there", when they mean "their", because that is how they say it. I note these days that almost all TV presenters use plural nouns for singular subjects, such as

"one in ten of the population are affected by this" and yes, I know there is a debate about this, but I chose this example deliberately.

I guess it's all down to the lack of, or poor, English Grammar training.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
          and when they type "there"

I guess it's all down to the lack of, or poor, English Grammar training.
          • A new sentence should begin with a capital letter
          • "Grammar" in your comment is an ordinary noun and should not be capitalised in that position in the sentence

Could do better, see me after class.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            So what do you guys think?
            You're writing BS

Comment

So... the previous night found myself expressing my opinions on a thread near by about the reason contracting is not very popular with big corps and gov. Ended up being not very well perceived and post deleted by an admin and accused of "wanting to hear my own voice" whatever that is.

What do you guys think the reason behind this clampdown on this engagement method?

Some might say financial, hmrc loosing on taxes. Could be part of that but if you go closer into the detail you would find that costs are understandable and there is a risk premia that is factored in.
              Looking at the other engagement methods FTC's and umbrella have always been the worst of all words, nobody in their sane mind will consider them unless desperate. Well... unless you are a corp and want a tempie to crave for that security but that is a different discussion.

Some egotistic big time contractors might say: "Because you were all permtractors" bum-on-seat contractor. Seat fillers. But even them if they were honest to themselves, would see most of their engagements were paid by day, bossed around by their pm's, maybe to some extent contractors but then limited by how much effort a company would want to put into differentiating between people on site. Sometimes none.

Atm there is no viable way of engaging on temporary basis. That is what I see as the reality. Inside IR35 roles are too expensive for clients and do not leave too much lee way on our side.

In times of uncertainty, it might be good to have an honest talk to ourselves and try to assess how things are moving around us.
              So what do you guys think?

I always thought the main driver behind this was the big consultancies lobbying the government to end independent contractors as they are direct competition to their business. Given nearly every single project I have seen "delivered" by the likes of Cap and Accenture were shoddy at best and disastrous at worst I think this will be a poor outcome for the end customer (usually the tax payer).

What end clients will receive is less choice, poor substitutes of quality people charged out for the same amount of money.

The effect of choice on the labour force is clear, worse conditions, worse pay and less choice in the types of work they can undertake. I've often thought the average Cap/Accenture consultant should seek psychiatric help if they thought being shunted around the country from one tulip project to the next and never seeing their family for 30-40k was a good way to spend their life.

Now it will become something to aspire too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                You're writing BS
                Sorry about grammar and spelling. Not my first language neither was I sober writing it.

So you guys are saying this just happened, an uncoordinated effort that took unprepared a good part of the workforce?
                And it is not a mean to tighten the bolts on the workforce. The sooner we realise the better it might be for us as we can look for opportunities somewhere else. Re-skill or just get into the right mindset.

What I have been describing in second post is pretty much US economy: looser employment rights, ruled by big corp, has a large tech scene but surprisingly contracting model is not very prevalent.
                They have been using heavily H1B visas to bring in talent, which some people argue is not due to talent not existing but the additional strings that come with that visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  You're writing BS
                  Sorry about grammar and spelling. Not my first language neither was I sober writing it.
                  Worry not, that twat writes nothing else. HTH.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

HMRC/Govt don't have any issue with contractors working through PAYE brollies.

It's the reduced tax (& NI) of using a Ltd Co that they don't like. Simple as that.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
                      HMRC/Govt don't have any issue with contractors working through PAYE brollies.

It's the reduced tax (& NI) of using a Ltd Co that they don't like. Simple as that.
                      Not quite true - they also don't want people claiming expenses as that opens a second hornet's nest.

And for a lot of people it's not the tax bit that is the issue, its the inability to pay expenses before tax that is the issue.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X