• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why big corp and hmrc have a dislike for contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It’s always money
    as it is for everything in the modern World.

Comment

My tuppence

Back in the dim and distant past, a lot of civil servants left on a Friday and returned to the same client on the Monday as a contractor, this was basically a full team left and came back. Those CS left behind got bitter and twisted about it.The "I hate contractors" was on the last central government project, didn't matter who you were. The attitude included HPES (ex CS TUP'd out), the crazy thing was HPES were trying to get ex-CS's to train Indians to take over their own roles).

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I suppose that is why the squirrels nibble your nuts. Now why not f**k off and let the grown ups talk.
        Crikey, you got out of bed on the wrong side this morning!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Crikey, you got out of bed on the wrong side that morning!
          Gratis.
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Gratis.
            TBF it does apply to most mornings

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              And for a lot of people it's not the tax bit that is the issue, its the inability to pay expenses before tax that is the issue.
              But how does paying expenses, before tax, benefit people? Answer: it reduces their tax burden. That's what the Govt has an issue with. Doesn't matter whether it's expenses or dividends, they don't want contractors having any of the tax breaks of a Ltd Co.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                • A new sentence should begin with a capital letter
                • "Grammar" in your comment is an ordinary noun and should not be capitalised in that position in the sentence

Could do better, see me after class.
                there are those "intellectuals" would claim now that it is valid to start a sentence with "and". However, in the context of the post, it is a continuation of a comment made by someone else, so its use can be debated.

I was always taught to capitalise the G in grammar, when it followed English, or any other language. But then I studied English over 65 years ago and some old rules are being changed. (the use of a capital I in indian in a recent post elsewhere invited a six month ban for being racist!)

The old instruction of I before E except after C is clearly one which I was taught at junior school, but as we know there are as many exceptions as follow the rule. However, it's still being taught now to my grandchildren.

The point I'm making there is that it's very difficult to adjust to new rules, when such rules were imprinted early in an individual's life.

Note that the French don't use capital letters like we do, so whereas we would write French, they would write francais. (don't know how to include the cedilla here).

Comment

When HMRC band numbers about I believe they include a made-up include number that groups together perimies who would go contracting but remain permie. So the clamp down is to also reverse the trend of of people leaving to go contracting. Now the tories are in full power they will be clamping down on permie rights so the tax without representation will become the next I'm for all.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    When HMRC band numbers about I believe they include a made-up include number that groups together perimies who would go contracting but remain permie. So the clamp down is to also reverse the trend of of people leaving to go contracting. Now the tories are in full power they will be clamping down on permie rights so the tax without representation will become the next I'm for all.
                    You wot?
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                      and, in English?

Comment

Working...
                      X