• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview question - business wanting something stupid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have refused a few times to do something that so stupid it's actually harmful to the system. But on other times, I've issued the warning, in writing, and then done the work. In the coding there's a comment about how dumb this is, but "he made me do it".
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      I doubt you would pass the interview if you actually were to say that.
      Well yes, probably not, although in my work i'm being interviewed as a senior external consultant and therefore rather expected to be giving advice and guidance...

I agree with others though; don't be forced into doing something illegal or even against the client's best interests without a damned good fight and clear written instructions to do it. That £20m bid refusal was not popular with senior management until we went through the reasons for it.

As an aside, it makes for an interesting discussion over the limits of Direction and control, doesn't it.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The original question is what you would say in an interview, and whatever you might do in practice you should assume that a client wouldn't want to employ contractors who knowingly do "stupid" things.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I would deliver the stupid project (I’ve done lots) not up to me to decide

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            I would deliver the stupid project (I’ve done lots) not up to me to decide

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            Yes absolutely but don't brag about it at the interview.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes absolutely but don't brag about it at the interview.
              I think, as above, this is gonna depend on what you "do". More often than not, I'm interviewing with consultancies to go and work with their customers - in that instance, I'm not about to say "I'd tell the customer to **** off, and walk if they don't like it".

I suppose like any interview question, the trick is knowing what that particular customer is looking for. I have to say, it's quite an odd question out of context - so yeah, if the context is more about doing the "right" thing in terms of legality and the systems, then yeah, you're better off claiming you'd never do such things. But any consultant who says they've never implemented something they aren't happy with is just a liar.
              Last edited by vwdan; 19 January 2020, 17:49.

Comment

You reply with choices and the outcomes of those choices if said stupid instruction is carried out. Help the person understand your concern and the alternative.

As an employer from time to time myself, the last thing I want is a yes man. I want someone I can trust. Someone who'll challenge my point of view.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I think, as above, this is gonna depend on what you "do". More often than not, I'm interviewing with consultancies to go and work with their customers - in that instance, I'm not about to say "I'd tell the customer to **** off, and walk if they don't like it".

I suppose like any interview question, the trick is knowing what that particular customer is looking for. I have to say, it's quite an odd question out of context - so yeah, if the context is more about doing the "right" thing in terms of legality and the systems, then yeah, you're better off claiming you'd never do such things. But any consultant who says they've never implemented something they aren't happy with is just a liar.
                  Would you really want to work on a project where the PM expects you to implement something that is obviously stupid?

Everyone has been on a project that has gone bad, but that's different to implementing something that is obviously stupid, you might be held liable.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Would you really want to work on a project where the PM expects you to implement something that is obviously stupid?

Everyone has been on a project that has gone bad, but that's different to implementing something that is obviously stupid, you might be held liable.
                    Of course not, I'd rather be sat in an expensive beach house somewhere without a care for money. But, ultimately, my allegiance starts and ends with my invoice.

Ref being liable - that's obviously a factor, along with anything illegal or whatever. But, stupid or silly alone? Meh. It's not like Accenture would refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                      Ref being liable - that's obviously a factor, along with anything illegal or whatever. But, stupid or silly alone? Meh. It's not like Accenture would refuse.
                      Precisely why i said get it in writing, ideally with your objections
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X