• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview question - business wanting something stupid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Precisely why i said get it in writing, ideally with your objections
    Absolutely!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      Of course not, I'd rather be sat in an expensive beach house somewhere without a care for money. But, ultimately, my allegiance starts and ends with my invoice.

Ref being liable - that's obviously a factor, along with anything illegal or whatever. But, stupid or silly alone? Meh. It's not like Accenture would refuse.
      Mrs Eek mentioned this court case last week Magistrates issue fine over tree felling .

It's an interesting question as to whether if you are ordered to do something you are liable for doing so. Perhaps this case will answer the question.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

wot, like this?
        Superior orders - Wikipedia

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          Which part of that is related to English Criminal law?

Comment

If asked to do anything stupid I escalate to my boss.

Has happened more times than it should....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Mrs Eek mentioned this court case last week Magistrates issue fine over tree felling .

It's an interesting question as to whether if you are ordered to do something you are liable for doing so. Perhaps this case will answer the question.
              Ordered to do something *illegal*. I don't think the case will change anything or bring in any kind of new precedent - it will come down to what constitutes negligence, and what constitutes reasonable. A builder wouldn't get taken to court if he builds an extension without planning permission, but does so to his clients plans. On the other hand, he's not going to be able to claim ignorance if the request is to knock down the neighbours conservatory.

When it comes to your own work - similar questions would be asked. Did you know? Should you have known? Would a reasonable person, of the same skills, known? Did you do due dilligence? Were the orders untruthful or misleading? Etc etc etc.

It's worth noting that few laws would make a distinction between being asked to do something - you're essentially relying on what defences each piece of legislation provides and common law defences.

Buuut, to be honest, I don't really understand the conflation with illegal and stupid in this thread, or what it proves. I'd hope nobody here would knowingly do something illegal - surely it's the grey area that's far more fun.

Comment

Buuut, to be honest, I don't really understand the conflation with illegal and stupid in this thread, or what it proves. I'd hope nobody here would knowingly do something illegal - surely it's the grey area that's far more fun.
                Remember Grengfell cladding. Not legal. Not illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Which part of that is related to English Criminal law?
                  none of it.
                  but if eveyone else is posting bollolks, why shouldn't i??

hth

Comment

Ordered to do something *illegal*. I don't think the case will change anything or bring in any kind of new precedent - it will come down to what constitutes negligence, and what constitutes reasonable. A builder wouldn't get taken to court if he builds an extension without planning permission, but does so to his clients plans. On the other hand, he's not going to be able to claim ignorance if the request is to knock down the neighbours conservatory.

When it comes to your own work - similar questions would be asked. Did you know? Should you have known? Would a reasonable person, of the same skills, known? Did you do due dilligence? Were the orders untruthful or misleading? Etc etc etc.

It's worth noting that few laws would make a distinction between being asked to do something - you're essentially relying on what defences each piece of legislation provides and common law defences.

Not quite the question is more how much effort should you as a contractor (albeit in this case a tree surgeon rather than IT bod) be required to confirm that what you've been asked to do is above board and legal. The council's viewpoint is that the information is easily available, I'm curious as to what the tree surgeon's argument is.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      If asked to do anything stupid I escalate to my divorce lawyer.

Has happened more times than it should....

FTFY
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X