• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview question - business wanting something stupid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Not quite the question is more how much effort should you as a contractor (albeit in this case a tree surgeon rather than IT bod) be required to confirm that what you've been asked to do is above board and legal. The council's viewpoint is that the information is easily available, I'm curious as to what the tree surgeon's argument is.
    What I said, isn't it?

it will come down to what constitutes negligence, and what constitutes reasonable. ..........When it comes to your own work - similar questions would be asked. Did you know? Should you have known? Would a reasonable person, of the same skills, known? Did you do due dilligence? Were the orders untruthful or misleading? Etc etc etc.

Comment

How does the IT know the request was stupid?

Typical IT think they know best, the business wants what the business wants. IT wonder why the business forms it's own internal IT function. Sometimes one side is right, sometimes the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Age quod agis View Post
        I had an interview with IT in a financial institution.

The question was what would you do if senior management from business wanted something done that was stupid.
        The thing is, how do you know that it is stupid? You, as a lowly contractor, don't have the big picture - it might actually make sense to do it that way.

An example of this, is the following: In WW2, an RAF squadron Commander was ordered to send a pilot up, alone, in a Hurricane, fly over a particular point on the Normandy coast, and return home. Every day at 12 noon for a month. Crazy, thought the commander. But he still did it, despite his pilot nearly getting shot down by anti aircraft batteries every time.

It was only many years afterwards that he found out the purpose of this exercise. It is that we had found the German radio operator in that location always sent a message to his commander over the Enigma radio system every time an allied plane flew over.
        So we made sure that we had a plane fly over, every day, at the same time, keeping all other allied aircraft away, knowing that the message he would be sending each time would be the same. It allowed us to validate that the daily encryption codes we had broken for that day, were correct.
        Last edited by GJABS; 20 January 2020, 13:08.

Comment

"The chances are that the SME will have more domain specific knowledge than myself so I would seek clarity and implement if required."
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Shouldn't sexual equality embrace the idea that women should make their own decisions?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              What I said, isn't it?
              Nope there is a big difference between knowledge (you should have known) and an additional task (you needed to have checked).

In IT it's the difference between being asked to wipe a secretary's laptop and accepting the blame for no-one being paid on the discovery that the laptop contained the only copy of the FD's password for the company's bank account.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Nope there is a big difference between knowledge (you should have known) and an additional task (you needed to have checked).

In IT it's the difference between being asked to wipe a secretary's laptop and accepting the blame for no-one being paid on the discovery that the laptop contained the only copy of the FD's password for the company's bank account.
                Okay, I'm not really sure what you're on about now if I'm entirely truthful. You brought up a legal case, initially, but now you seem to be backing away from the legal argument.

Comment

Point out the flaws in the plan and where it may be contrary to policy / best practice.
                  Highlight the associated risks and the impact should those risks be realized.
                  Ask them to confirm in writing that they want you to do it anyway.
                  Invoice.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Mrs Eek mentioned this court case last week Magistrates issue fine over tree felling .
                    It was only a sycamore FFS. Just a big weed

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                      The thing is, how do you know that it is stupid? You, as a lowly contractor, don't have the big picture - it might actually make sense to do it that way.

An example of this, is the following: In WW2, an RAF squadron Commander was ordered to send a pilot up, alone, in a Hurricane, fly over a particular point on the Normandy coast, and return home. Every day at 12 noon for a month. Crazy, thought the commander. But he still did it, despite his pilot nearly getting shot down by anti aircraft batteries every time.

It was only many years afterwards that he found out the purpose of this exercise. It is that we had found the German radio operator in that location always sent a message to his commander over the Enigma radio system every time an allied plane flew over.
                      So we made sure that we had a plane fly over, every day, at the same time, keeping all other allied aircraft away, knowing that the message he would be sending each time would be the same. It allowed us to validate that the daily encryption codes we had broken for that day, were correct.
                      I don't think most bosses are up there with Alan Turing & Alexander "Alastair" Guthrie Denniston. It is surprising how often I have to point the bend in the middle of my right arm and explain "that is an elbow".
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X