• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it cuz I is white?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    You've illustrated my point; Diane Abbott apologised, so obviously it's not acceptable to be disparaging about white people. Thx for that, QED as they say.

So nothing really to discuss....

next

The lecturer involved & the Granuaid have not apologised so its not demonstrated in any way. Baroness Warsi has not apologised either. Diane Abbott apologised through clenched teeth.

Sorry if you want to close the conversation because your position is indefensible , not happening!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      She's my wife's sister...

darn, sleep with her and you will be rid of them both

Alternatively hire Brillo as a mediator.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        The lecturer involved & the Granuaid have not apologised so its not demonstrated in any way. Baroness Warsi has not apologised either. Diane Abbott apologised through clenched teeth.

Sorry if you want to close the conversation because your position is indefensible , not happening!
        The lecturer has nothing to apologise for.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

The lecturer has nothing to apologise for.

in your very limited opinion which again & again I have pointed out is completely flawed.

If she had been a white male and Mr Fox been a Black lady and told to be aware of their 'Black female Privilege' would that have been racist? Of course it would!

Comment

The logic seems to be "she is non-white, she's receiving abuse, therefore it's racist", followed by "white guy says it's not racist, therefore he's racist".

Seems a bit weird to me. If you court the press, you need to know they could turn against you in a second - piss them off and behave all precious, and they will. Regardless of you age, sex or skin colour. So what has happened to her is in fact a demonstration that the press isn't racist. They attacked as much as they would have attacked a white male - perhaps one with ginger hair...

Lily Allen commented “Sick to death of luvvies like Lawrence Fox going on TV and forcing their opinions on everybody else.”
            Fox replied: “I don’t think as a breed us luvvies are well known for our self-awareness, are we Lily?”
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              The logic seems to be "she is non-white, she's receiving abuse, therefore it's racist", followed by "white guy says it's not racist, therefore he's racist".

Seems a bit weird to me. If you court the press, you need to know they could turn against you in a second - piss them off and behave all precious, and they will. Regardless of you age, sex or skin colour. So what has happened to her is in fact a demonstration that the press isn't racist. They attacked as much as they would have attacked a white male - perhaps one with ginger hair...
              She didn't call him a racist, she said "you are a white privileged male who has very little experience of ... (drowned out)"
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

She didn't call him a racist, she said "you are a white privileged male who has very little experience of ... (drowned out)"
                Whatevs.

The logic seems to be "she is non-white, she's receiving abuse, therefore it's racist", followed by "white guy says it's not racist but he's wrong by virtue of being white and male".

That better?

Comment

Whatevs.

The logic seems to be "she is non-white, she's receiving abuse, therefore it's racist", followed by "white guy says it's not racist but he's wrong (with the implication not just wrong, but inherently wrong due to being white and male) because he's a white privileged male".

That better?
                  The point she's making is that if you're white you'll be unaware of the racial abuse that ethnic minorities have to put up with.

Of course you can debate that, but it wasn't simply an "insult" she was trying to make a valid point.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

The point she's making is that if you're white you'll be unaware of the racial abuse that ethnic minorities have to put up with.

Of course you can debate that, but it wasn't simply an "insult" she was trying to make a valid point.
                    She might have been trying, but she failed. It's not a valid point. Plenty of white men are aware of what ethnic minorities have to put up with. The issue is not that white men are unaware - the issue is that people, generally, don't like the different. They don't like people outside their tribe.

Another reason it's not a valid point, is that "well you're white and male so you don't understand racism" is not a rebuttal of the statement "The abuse that Meghan Markle has received at the hands of the press is not racist". It's an unjustified ad hominem point, and a distraction. What would have been her response if Fox was e.g. Vietnamese? She'd have had to address the question of whether the press have been racist.

Comment

She might have been trying, but she failed. It's not a valid point. Plenty of white men are aware of what ethnic minorities have to put up with.
                      True, but she was responding to Laurence's comment about "the UK being the most lovely tolerant country"

So she might be forgiven for thinking that Laurence wasn't aware.

and as much as I find the tabloid newspapers entertaining, "tolerant" and or "lovely" are not the words I would use to describe them, which is what the debate is about.
                      Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 January 2020, 16:34.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X