• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it cuz I is white?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    True, but she was responding to Laurence's comment about "the UK being the most lovely tolerant country"

So she might be forgiven for thinking that Laurence wasn't aware.

and as much as I find the tabloid newspapers entertaining, "tolerant" and or "lovely" are not the words I would use to describe them, which is what the debate is about.
    Newspapers notwithstanding, Having lived in the UK for my first 30 years, and in other countries for last 20, my experience is that the UK is a fairly tolerant country. My family have experienced far more casual (and overt) racism over here than we ever have in the UK.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I run with the fox

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Newspapers notwithstanding, Having lived in the UK for my first 30 years, and in other countries for last 20, my experience is that the UK is a fairly tolerant country. My family have experienced far more casual (and overt) racism over here than we ever have in the UK.
        Yes fine don't dispute it, pointing out the fact that that was the point the lecturer was making. You can agree or disagree but it was a valid point. Some people have better or worse experience. Laurence did insult her before she hit back.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 January 2020, 18:17.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          True, but she was responding to Laurence's comment about "the UK being the most lovely tolerant country"

So she might be forgiven for thinking that Laurence wasn't aware.

and as much as I find the tabloid newspapers entertaining, "tolerant" and or "lovely" are not the words I would use to describe them, which is what the debate is about.

ooh look research facts and thingies

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-countries/

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

oops it seems master bates has decided his wisdom should be deleted.

The Race Relations Act 1965 outlawed public discrimination, and established the Race Relations Board. Further Acts in 1968 and 1976 outlawed discrimination in employment, housing and social services, and replaced the Race Relations Board with Commission for Racial Equality[49] that merged into the Equality and Human Rights Commission in 2004. The Human Rights Act 1998 made organisations in the UK, including public authorities, subject to the European Convention on Human Rights.[50] The Race Relations Amendment Act 2000 extends existing legislation for the public sector to the police force, and requires public authorities to promote equality.
            The National Black Police Association which allows only African, African-Caribbean and Asian officers as full members has been criticised as a racist organization by some because of its selective membership criteria based on ethnic origin.[57][58][59]
            Michael Wilkes from the British Chinese Project said that racism against them isn't taken as seriously as racism against African, African-Caribbean or South Asian people, and that a lot of racist attacks towards the Chinese community go unreported, primarily because of widespread mistrust in the police.[60]
            The United Kingdom has been accused of "sleepwalking into segregation" by Trevor Phillips, chair of the Commission for Racial Equality. Philips has said that the UK is fragmenting into isolated racial communities: "literal black holes into which no one goes without fear and trepidation and nobody escapes undamaged".[citation needed]On the other hand, the UK was commended in 2014 for its lack of racism by another member of a minority group. In fact, the author says that, from her perspective, it is a haven for inclusiveness, but loses points for its culture of grievance.[70]

As I found in my 2017 review of the criminal justice system, some of the difference in sentencing is the result of a ‘trust deficit’. Many BAME defendants simply still do not believe that the justice system will deliver less punitive treatment if they plead guilty. It’s vital that all parts of the criminal justice system work hard to address these discrepancies, so that the same crime leads to the same sentence, regardless of ethnicity.”[62]
            Last edited by vetran; 19 January 2020, 22:42. Reason: master bater

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              ooh look research facts and thingies

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ant-countries/

It is an interesting graphic, but have you read the article? There's some important caveats about this. One is that that the data has been collected over years. Some is recent, some not, so it doesn't reflect necessarily recent attributes.

Data from Bangladesh (top left of India) has been inverted. which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%!

The Swiss are apparently less tolerant than the Brits. But perhaps they're equally tolerant, just the Swiss are more honest in their answers.

The graphic says absolutely nothing about whether racism is on the rise in Britain or not. It's a snapshot.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

the BBC is selective about what it judges is racism -

TV watchdog clears Anne Robinson over Welsh jibes | UK news | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  the BBC is selective about what it judges is racism -

TV watchdog clears Anne Robinson over Welsh jibes | UK news | The Guardian
                  It still smarts, doesn't it?

Let it go!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The Swiss are apparently less tolerant than the Brits. But perhaps they're equally tolerant, just the Swiss are more honest in their answers.
                    Maybe they've not been infected with the PC virus yet.

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                    It still smarts, doesn't it?

Let it go!
                    Never!

Cymru am byth!

Boyo, there's tidy then.

Twll din i bob Sais
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 January 2020, 09:09.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It is an interesting graphic, but have you read the article? There's some important caveats about this. One is that that the data has been collected over years. Some is recent, some not, so it doesn't reflect necessarily recent attributes.

Data from Bangladesh (top left of India) has been inverted. which means that 28.3% of Bangladeshis said they wouldn’t want neighbors of a different race – not 71.7%!

The graphic says absolutely nothing about whether racism is on the rise in Britain or not. It's a snapshot.

so pretty much any global study.

So the rise of racism in the UK will put us above France & Eastern Europe? thought not.
                      THe Bangladeshis are still more racist than the most of the world but that is a little embarrassing for the researchers.

Comment

Working...
                      X