• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not so disguised employees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    However it is not really an issue them using PSCs if both Vine and Ackroyd are working inside IR35. Given the £400k is quoted as being taxable income, it would seem they are.
    Ackroyd's case was based on past income - my point was that having lost and lost the appeal there has been no news on what she did about it.

It is arguable that the BBC should have coughed up as they were the instigators of the arrangement (presumably on the basis of them saving ERs NI) - but they can't really do that without risk of people getting annoyed at that use of the licence fee.

I suppose it's just prurient interest on my part, but I'd love to know if HMRC has been paid yet, and by whom.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      HMRC has some very very expensive lawyers - and still they keep losing.

expensive != Good
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

public interest

I am thinking of sending in a public interest request, asking how many presenters have arrangements like that, bet there are stacks of them...

Comment

Originally posted by technobabble View Post
          I am thinking of sending in a public interest request, asking how many presenters have arrangements like that, bet there are stacks of them...
          It's not just presenters. I know seven people who work behind the camera in various roles: to a man (and one woman) they were binned as permies and told to go contracting ten or more years ago. And only three of them were with the BBC.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            Ackroyd's case was based on past income - my point was that having lost and lost the appeal there has been no news on what she did about it.

It is arguable that the BBC should have coughed up as they were the instigators of the arrangement (presumably on the basis of them saving ERs NI) - but they can't really do that without risk of people getting annoyed at that use of the licence fee.

I suppose it's just prurient interest on my part, but I'd love to know if HMRC has been paid yet, and by whom.
            my point was that having lost and lost the appeal there has been no news on what she did about it.
            agreed. But I haven't heard of any other examples of how the back tax was paid or not. It has been posted that the liability for the back tax rested with the contractor's company. I would guess that faced with a large bill, most would liquidate their companies, thus denying HMRC the back tax. However, I've heard of no actual examples at all of how the issue was handled.

Comment

Hushed

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
              However, I've heard of no actual examples at all of how the issue was handled.
              Hmm smells of a hush up - Maybe I'll share this thread with Private Eye - they are good at exposing scandals...

Comment

Hmm smells of a hush up - Maybe I'll share this thread with Private Eye - they are good at exposing scandals...
                Or its's simply HMRC sticking to their policy that people's tax affairs are strictly confidential and will not be publicised...?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Or its's simply HMRC sticking to their policy that people's tax affairs are strictly confidential and will not be publicised...?
                  I wasn't expecting any comment from HMRC - but it's odd that such a high profile case has gone so quiet - a picture of her sad-faced at her plight in the Yorkshire Post or Daily Heil next to a for sale sign or something..........unless the BBC has quietly coughed up....

Comment

exactly, and many on here should wake up to the politics of the issues surrounding IR35 and use those politics to continue fighting it.

Comment

Working...
                    X