• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not so disguised employees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WFT; Sarah Montague and Jeremy Vine both working via their own Ltd Companies.

Radio presenter Sarah Montague has confirmed she won a £400,000 settlement and an apology from the BBC after being treated "unequally" by the corporation for years.
    Sarah Montague: Radio presenter confirms GBP400k pay settlement with BBC - BBC News

The BBC offered to pay Jeremy Vine £100,000 if it failed to find him work to the equivalent value during contract negotiations with the presenter.
    BBC offered to pay Jeremy Vine GBP100,000 if it couldn't find him work, tribunal papers reveal
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Sounds like MOO, looks like MOO...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Sounds like MOO, looks like MOO...
      ergo, it's a COO

hth

Comment

I've been wondering what happened to Christa Ackroyd - have the BBC quietly paid her back NI and penalties for her?

At the time I saw a report saying she'd have to sell her house.

It's all gone quiet.

Comment

more likely a better legal team than HMRC can afford?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            more likely a better legal team than HMRC can afford?
            HMRC has some very very expensive lawyers - and still they keep losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              I've been wondering what happened to Christa Ackroyd - have the BBC quietly paid her back NI and penalties for her?

At the time I saw a report saying she'd have to sell her house.

It's all gone quiet.
              Quite! It's interesting to note that none of those BBC presenters who have fallen foul of IR35 have taken their cases to the ET, which would be the obvious (to me) route to avoid having to pay the tax. The ET outcome would be employed or self employed and in neither case would the tax be due. Clearly either judgement would be a serious issue for the BBC. So I guess this has all been kept quiet and brushed under the carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                HMRC has some very very expensive lawyers
                And a huge amount of money.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  And a huge amount of money.
                  That they treat as their own.

How much was Watkin Gittins paid in compensation after the HMRC debacle on the Isle of Man?

Originally posted by HMRC response to FOI request
                  HMRC does not calculate the cost of specific criminal investigations and FOIA does not require public authorities to create new information. To the extent that any case-specific cost information is held for any case, it would generally be the position that it would require a high degree of skill and judgement (and potentially time) to assemble such information into meaningful figures.
                  Last edited by Zigenare; 22 January 2020, 09:13.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

However it is not really an issue them using PSCs if both Vine and Ackroyd are working inside IR35. Given the £400k is quoted as being taxable income, it would seem they are.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X