• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oops our more portly members are fecked

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops our more portly members are fecked

UK people would push a fat man off a bridge to stop a runaway train killing five people | Daily Mail Online

Three out of five people in the UK would push a fat man off a bridge to stop a runaway train killing five people - but that doesn't make Britons 'evil'

• People were asked if they'd actively kill one person in order to save five people
    • Three out of five people asked in the UK said they would kill a single individual
    • Researchers wanted to understand the morals of people in different countries
    • They found western countries would actively kill one person to save the many
    • They say this could be due to western cultures being more open to 'speaking up'
    so are you off your trolley?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

It's interesting this because actually the only answer you can give is to do absolutely nothing.

If you push the fat man off the bridge and kill him that is murder - even though in doing so you save more people.

If you do not push the fat man and the other 5 people get killed - not your fault.

The law is an ass.

Comment

As always with these kinds of thing we need to look to the future generations

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        It's interesting this because actually the only answer you can give is to do absolutely nothing.

If you push the fat man off the bridge and kill him that is murder - even though in doing so you save more people.

If you do not push the fat man and the other 5 people get killed - not your fault.

The law is an ass.
        What about moral law, are you morally allowed to kill one man to save 5? What about 50? 50,000? 50,000,000?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          What about moral law, are you morally allowed to kill one man to save 5? What about 50? 50,000? 50,000,000?
          Interesting question but nope - do nothing and you are innocent.

Do something and either kill 1 person or 5 people you are guilty of murder.

But I think the whole split track quandry was created is to spark this discussion regarding moral law v's 'real' law.

Comment

And what about if the 5 people are members of this forum?

Comment

Is the fat man wearing lycra?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                Interesting question but nope - do nothing and you are innocent.

Do something and either kill 1 person or 5 people you are guilty of murder.

But I think the whole split track quandry was created is to spark this discussion regarding moral law v's 'real' law.
                What about Duty to rescue - Wikipedia?

Comment

How fat is the man in question? Can he actually be pushed or would it be too much of an effort?

Comment

What about pushing the fat guy off the bridge then claiming he selflessly jumped?

That way he dies a hero, the five other people survive, and you don't get done for murder?

Win-win-win!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X