Most contractor unfriendly clients and clients managers Most contractor unfriendly clients and clients managers - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 34

Super poster

Eirikur - scorchio!

Always WFH on Fridays so don't know about buying beer
    Have seen #3 twice, had to park on a paid parking space 10 minutes walk

Godlike

Zigenare is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Eirikur View Post
    Always WFH on Fridays so don't know about buying beer
    Have seen #3 twice, had to park on a paid parking space 10 minutes walk
    Oh well, tough tulip.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Contractor Among Contractors

unixman 's job has never been outsourced

At a certain big place in Derby, permies got 2 screens and contractors got one. They are no longer in business.

GhostofTarbera - scorchio!

Client asked all contractors not to go into “griffin pub” across the road £1 in a pint nudie dance pub directly from the office as was giving the company a bad name, and asked if we could walk round the block 1st away from client site.doing a loop before we went in

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Godlike

ladymuck is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Client asked all contractors not to go into “griffin pub” across the road £1 in a pint nudie dance pub directly from the office as was giving the company a bad name, and asked if we could walk round the block 1st away from client site.doing a loop before we went in

Definitely supervision, direction and control

My post count is Majestic

vetran is always on top

Used to work for an outfit who had a European office in front of a lap dancing club, always amused me, the Germans were very matter of fact about it.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    From what I've heard, #1 is quite common in Germany. Some companies completely segregate contractors from permies. Not worked there myself so this is second/third hand knowledge. I don't have an issue with it as long as it doesn't impact productivity. Spend too long hanging around the permies and they start to treat you like one, and you start behaving like one....
    Yes, quite common, I've come across it many times as quite a lot of companies are never too sure of the law. Previous contract was all contractors had their own office(s) although they were next door to their permie overlords. Current one, I share an office with 2 permies.

One thing I have never come across in over 25 years of contracting here is the permie - contractor put down as noted a few times in this thread. Most of the time the relationship has been very good and they tend to use you for your experience and will come and use you as a sounding board and mentor.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

More time posting than coding

Anonimouse has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post

Car parking, really? My goodness that's scraping the barrel as to 'bad client' criteria.
    Virgin Atlantic was similar, not allowed in staff car park, expected to,park at unmade football club car park, but didn’t prevent on street parking, though you’d need to early for that

Should post faster

PlanB is a permanent contractor

I remember as a wet behind the ears junior dev from oop North being dragged around various seedy Liverpool street strip bars by senior contractors. One prevailing memory is one of the more lively members of our squad spitting his pint of fizzy onto one of the dancers jugs and we were all ejected rather quickly.
    Last edited by PlanB; 21st January 2020 at 18:01.

CheeseSlice has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Si666 View Post
    Also know a department manger of who was quite open about the fact the he "hates contractors", and was openly insulting to them in front of other people.
    My last gig had one of those. A delivery manager. He was very open about his preference to hire perm or convert contractors to perm, but preferably to hire consultants for any short term stuff. He had decided that contractors were basically pointless. Said this straight to my face too.

Just weeks after I left I found out he had been made redundant. I guess someone decided he was pointless.