• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New York travel….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Even if you're not... I've booked my summer getaway on the dates I wanted. I think the BA sale does actually provide value for money. Mind you, I think Virgin have a sale on too.

I thought about a short haul long weekend too: using my Avios, I got 2 x business class to Europe return tix for £2. I'm still feeling smug about that, so thought I'd take the opportunity to mention it on here
    Unfortunately it’s not proper business class, it’s just a middle seat missing - tan the bar

Moscow is the shortest route for proper BC I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Yes.
      Thanks for confirming. It was such a long time ago. The Empire State Building was lit up in blue for Sinatra's 80th birthday, that's how long ago it was. And I was horribly drunk on Mojitos (it wasn't a cheap night). Well worth a visit, but I wouldn't stay there. And if you don't mind slumming it, Norwegian have (or had) flights from Gatwick to Newark at fairly silly prices. I'd take Newark over JFK every time, given the choice. JFK probably ranks as the worst airport I've ever been through, and I've been to some really crummy airports.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        I'd take Newark over JFK every time, given the choice. JFK probably ranks as the worst airport I've ever been through, and I've been to some really crummy airports.
        I agree on Newark over JFK. Not sure about JFK being the worst - have you ever flown through Luton or Stanstead?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I agree on Newark over JFK. Not sure about JFK being the worst - have you ever flown through Luton or Stanstead?
          Luton sadly yes. Stansted thankfully no.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

JFK is getting better but the immigration experience in both the main NY airports varies depending on the time of day and terminal. Earlier flights landing early PM ET time tend to miss the bulk of the delays that the later evening flights tend to suffer from. First time ESTA's need to queue up with all the visa holders so the wait can be 1-2 hours JFK has a better departure experience generally (airline & priority pass lounges and food options) over EWR which (especially Terminal B) has only few options (just one priority pass lounge). It's generally quicker to get through EWR departure security over JFK.

As for hotel recommendations for NYC if you want to save money and it's during the week I would recommend the Hyatt Regency Jersey City. Cheaper than Manhattan, better views as it's right on the Hudson overlooking downtown Manhattan, right next to the ferry and PATH (the subway line that goes into both Mid-town 34th Street & World Trade Center) and it's easy to get to/from EWR in an ride share or Taxi.

Comment

Landing in Riyadh behind a PIA flight can be one of the worst immigration experiences. Though, normally, a security official will see that you are western and march you to the front of the queue.

Comment

Well, it's coming together nicely.

Got BA flights from Gatwick for £275 return.

Only issue is the hotel - Manhattan ones are well over £700 for somewhere semi-decent and even the worse places are only a little less!

I've booked a flexible twin room at the Marriott Residence by the WTC in the financial district for £600 which looks like a good deal considering that many are $350 a night....

My dates are October 28th checking out October 31st.

Does anyone have any codes / advice for a better deal? There are a couple of HIEX / Wyndham etc in Queens / Brooklyn but only a couple of hundred less than the Marriott I've booked.

Needs to be a twin not a double - I would like it to be a double but not the deal I've struck sadly!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  Well, it's coming together nicely.

Got BA flights from Gatwick for £275 return.

Only issue is the hotel - Manhattan ones are well over £700 for somewhere semi-decent and even the worse places are only a little less!

I've booked a flexible twin room at the Marriott Residence by the WTC in the financial district for £600 which looks like a good deal considering that many are $350 a night....

My dates are October 28th checking out October 31st.

Does anyone have any codes / advice for a better deal? There are a couple of HIEX / Wyndham etc in Queens / Brooklyn but only a couple of hundred less than the Marriott I've booked.

Needs to be a twin not a double - I would like it to be a double but not the deal I've struck sadly!!
                  Are you sitting outside on the wings ?

Good deal sir

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X