• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New York travel….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York travel….

Picking the brains of seasoned New York travellors…..

Flights – Is there any benefit to booking with travel companies as opposed direct with airlines? With Europe travel its usually cheaper to book direct? I have a 13% discount with virgin and 10% discount with BA (ex military) – any other options to consider EG discounts with United / AA? Flights are around £400 each direct. One-stop flights are around £280 so clearly a case of milking the UK school holidays…..

Hotels – I have stayed at the Hyatt and Grand Central station which is ideal but blinking expensive for the dates we are looking for. The Marriott in the financial district looks good but not sure about the location. Any recommendations for other hotels to look at? Anything from Premier Inn standards upwards. What districts are good to look at in terms of not being killed and subway access etc?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Flights – Is there any benefit to booking with travel companies as opposed direct with airlines? With Europe travel its usually cheaper to book direct? I have a 13% discount with virgin and 10% discount with BA (ex military) – any other options to consider EG discounts with United / AA? Flights are around £400 each direct. One-stop flights are around £280 so clearly a case of milking the UK school holidays…..

Hotels – I have stayed at the Hyatt and Grand Central station which is ideal but blinking expensive for the dates we are looking for. The Marriott in the financial district looks good but not sure about the location. Any recommendations for other hotels to look at? Anything from Premier Inn standards upwards. What districts are good to look at in terms of not being killed and subway access etc?

For flights, try Search Flights, Hotels & Car Hire | KAYAK and Skyscanner: Compare Cheap Flights, Hotels & Car Hire | Cheap Airline Tickets
    Don't forget to sort out your ESTA, if you don't already have one.
    Official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
    (that's the correct web address, and not one of the businesses that charge you extra just to fill it out)

As for hotels, it depends where you're going to/what you'll be doing.
    The Marriott Marquis on Times Square is OK, it's nice enough area to go out exploring. Although I find Times Square disappointing.
    My preference is the Four Seasons in Midtown
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Look at avois points options also

Business class return would be £1600 ish

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If you have no airline affiliations then you can get better deals via online travel agents. If you want to earn points and status then you need to book direct.

If your primary concern is price then, other than when there's a really good sale on, there's little to be gained by booking direct.

Comment

You need to tell us the dates you're travelling. If it's winter make you have have ABTA (or ATOL, can never remember) protection. We had JFK closed in 2018 and BA took care of everything.

As for hotels, how long is a piece of string. Brooklyn tends to be a bit cheaper and has good access to Manhatten. Queens and the Bronx are a bit rough. Staten Island is cheaper but far out and a bit cookie cutter. Try Hilton Garden Inn or something like that.

Financial district is OK too. Again, easy enough to get around.

It's NYC, it can be as expensive or cheap as you want to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            For flights, try Search Flights, Hotels & Car Hire | KAYAK and Skyscanner: Compare Cheap Flights, Hotels & Car Hire | Cheap Airline Tickets
            Don't forget to sort out your ESTA, if you don't already have one.
            Official ESTA Application Website, U.S. Customs and Border Protection
            (that's the correct web address, and not one of the businesses that charge you extra just to fill it out)

As for hotels, it depends where you're going to/what you'll be doing.
            The Marriott Marquis on Times Square is OK, it's nice enough area to go out exploring. Although I find Times Square disappointing.
            My preference is the Four Seasons in Midtown
            Is that the one with the rotating bar at the top?
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Is that the one with the rotating bar at the top?
              Yes.

Comment

BTW, BA have a seat sale on until the end of the month - if you're flexible on your dates, now might be a good time to book.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  BTW, BA have a seat sale on until the end of the month - if you're flexible on your dates, now might be a good time to book.
                  Even if you're not... I've booked my summer getaway on the dates I wanted. I think the BA sale does actually provide value for money. Mind you, I think Virgin have a sale on too.

I thought about a short haul long weekend too: using my Avios, I got 2 x business class to Europe return tix for £2. I'm still feeling smug about that, so thought I'd take the opportunity to mention it on here

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

We normally stay downtown as we prefer basing ourselves around where we will be eating and drinking on an evening. SoHo is nice, we stayed at the Sheraton 4 points, very reasonable and close to subway.

Comment

Working...
                    X