• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Different employment options...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
    I give up on this place. It’s a bunch of “experts” constantly arguing over syntax and words; I have to say it’s an unfriendly and unhelpful forum with a select few instantly trying to shut down others by playing word games.

But if that then this, but you forgot to mention that but then...

Weasel words constantly picking fault. It says at the very top “in a nut shell” - as in, it’s not word for word riddles that is known as the actual law. But most are grown up enough to understand it for what it is especially when a few of you...ahem...behave like stroppy teenagers rolling eyes at “basic questions”.

Very very odd place this - it’s cliquey and toxic
    don't go away mad.........................................

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
      I give up on this place. It’s a bunch of “experts” constantly arguing over syntax and words; I have to say it’s an unfriendly and unhelpful forum with a select few instantly trying to shut down others by playing word games.

But if that then this, but you forgot to mention that but then...

Weasel words constantly picking fault. It says at the very top “in a nut shell” - as in, it’s not word for word riddles that is known as the actual law. But most are grown up enough to understand it for what it is especially when a few of you...ahem...behave like stroppy teenagers rolling eyes at “basic questions”.

Very very odd place this - it’s cliquey and toxic
      Had the same conversation with my wife.

She said “its basically mumsnet”

She’s not wrong.

I think the people here are for the most, kind and helpful. It’s very risk adverse though.

Generally, I find it a very helpful resource, just chill and don’t get too upset.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post

She’s not wrong.

I think the people here are for the most, kind and helpful. It’s very risk adverse though.

Generally, I find it a very helpful resource, just chill and don’t get too upset.
        Puuuuurrrrlllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeeee....
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Puuuuurrrrlllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeeee....

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            No need to flounce.

If you want to provide an authoritative source of information, nit picking is essential. The legislation isn't simple. If it were, HMRC wouldn't keep losing on technicalities.

Instead of getting the hump, work on improving the information.

DaveB went though several iterations of his post (that is now a sticky) before its nits were deemed sufficiently picked.
            This.

In a nutshell.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

She’s not wrong.

We know of 5 suicides from people caught up in the HMRC Scheme enquiries and there will be more.

all those people believed what a smooth talking salesman told them would solve their IR35 issues back in 2001 and yet they have either killed themselves or are still suffering the consequences of that seemingly innocent decision.

there is a reason I’m very risk adverse - I don’t want anyone reading what I say doing something they may regret later.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                We know of 5 suicides from people caught up in the HMRC Scheme enquiries and there will be more.

all those people believed what a smooth talking salesman told them would solve their IR35 issues back in 2001 and yet they have either killed themselves or are still suffering the consequences of that seemingly innocent decision.

there is a reason I’m very risk adverse - I don’t want anyone reading what I say doing something they may regret later.
                I agree about your reason for being risk averse, but if various posters are overtly aggressive and unpleasant in professional forums, a member finding themselves in an apparently inescapable situation and looking desperately for advice may be scared away and never find the help and support they were looking for - which could be the difference between them tackling that insurmountable obstacle or just giving up on it all, possibly giving up on life as well. That would be a very nasty case of someone reading what the poster says and doing something we'd all regret later, so it cuts both ways.

Like other posters, I see that CUK can be toxic, with a select small clique of mouthy keyboard warriors, which can be funny in the right place but isn't appropriate in forums where people go to try and get helpful input on what they see as a real problem. As I have a thick skin I just ignore the clowns and filter out the useful information, but not everyone has that ability, particularly if they're going through a crisis.

In short - if you're going to be a tw@t, do it in the right place. The professional forums are where people go for help, not mockery.

None of this aimed at you Eek, just that your post seemed a suitable one to hang the reply on.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                  I agree about your reason for being risk averse, but if various posters are overtly aggressive and unpleasant in professional forums, a member finding themselves in an apparently inescapable situation and looking desperately for advice may be scared away and never find the help and support they were looking for - which could be the difference between them tackling that insurmountable obstacle or just giving up on it all, possibly giving up on life as well. That would be a very nasty case of someone reading what the poster says and doing something we'd all regret later, so it cuts both ways.

Like other posters, I see that CUK can be toxic, with a select small clique of mouthy keyboard warriors, which can be funny in the right place but isn't appropriate in forums where people go to try and get helpful input on what they see as a real problem. As I have a thick skin I just ignore the clowns and filter out the useful information, but not everyone has that ability, particularly if they're going through a crisis.

In short - if you're going to be a tw@t, do it in the right place. The professional forums are where people go for help, not mockery.

None of this aimed at you Eek, just that your post seemed a suitable one to hang the reply on.
                  One problem is that we are seeing the same questions virtually every 5 minutes at the moment and it's very difficult not to get tetchy when responding for the x time with everyone else repeating their stock unhelpful response (see Tarbera with his expenses comment).

Now my issue is not yet (it may change come late Feb) with the most people asking questions it's with people who are posting things that are either just wrong (this threads first post but also other comments regarding SDC and expenses today) or people who are diverting away from the original question.

And to be honest I probably have better things to do with my time than posting on here - I do it as a distraction and I should probably be setting this site back to 127.0.0.1 so I get on with the work I need to do.
                  Last edited by eek; 24 January 2020, 13:08. Reason: Fixed now I remember which thread this was still :wave: though

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

And to be honest I probably have better things to do with my time than posting on here - I do it as a distraction and I should probably be setting this site back to 127.0.0.1 so I get on with the work I need to do.
                    Just seen the first post on here so given the above
                    Last edited by eek; 24 January 2020, 12:33.

Comment

She’s not wrong.

you actually talk to your wife about interactions on this forum?
                      Those long winter evenings must just fly by.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X