• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A view of IR35 from a hiring manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    I think the Conservative government needs to tread very carefully with this, because if companies start using this as way of avoiding hiring people permanently, paying their NI, pension, holidays etc then we will likely see Rebecca Long-Bailey in power at the next election.

If the gig economy goes mainstream without any rights to pension, holidays and the rest then that is a massive betrayal of the social contract and there will be a backlash.

I say all that as someone who is more likely to vote Conservative than not.
    Except like most "likely" Tory voters, I suspect you will vote Tory again whatever happens.

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    The general population don't vote like that though. They can only swallow short snappy slogans, like get 'Get Brexit Done', 'Oven Ready Deal' or 'Heal the division' or other such crap. Try coming up with a snappy slogan about the erosion of workers rights and make it repeatable by your average Sun or Wail reader.

Lets be honest, if the tories had eroded workers rights without touching contractors, half the dicks on here would have been cheering. The tears only exist because it's them that will take the giant shafting.
    This is just about spot on in my estimation. The average Joe voting Tory in the UK seems to have some kind of masochistic "shaft us some more" mentality where they see the interests and aspirations of independently wealthy capitalists with zero commitment to any country as aligned to their small time UK ones.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 24 January 2020, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      What are you going to do about it? Leave the country? Would you easily get a work visa post brexit britain? You’ll have to make sure that, no matter what, you can make ends meet or go live on street.
      I should be alright no matter what happens, but there are many who aren't in such a fortunate position.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Except like most "likely" Troy voters, I suspect you will vote Tory again whatever happens.
        I have wealth to protect, hence a vote for Corbyn wasn't a smart move, if the Conservative party removes all workers rights from the entire populace that would be a step too far in the other direction and I'd become a Labour voter.

I am not a sheep, the electorate is becoming much more clued up and fluid since Brexit.

Comment

I have wealth to protect, hence a vote for Corbyn wasn't a smart move, if the Conservative party removes all workers rights from the entire populace that would be a step too far in the other direction and I'd become a Labour voter.

I am not a sheep, the electorate is becoming much more clued up and fluid since Brexit.
          It's a good thing Boris, Javid and Moggy have no interest in finding a way to take your wealth then
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

It's a good thing Boris, Javid and Moggy have no interest in finding a way to take your wealth then
            All politicians rob you blind, some do it more quickly than others.

Comment

No it won't because it doesn't hurt every household in the country. This is precisely the kind of thing that the 'party of business' has been getting away with for decades, and by that I mean f**king over a section of the community that they can fob off the complaints of. You'll be spun as a bunch of 'greedy tax dodging scum, avoiding paying your fair share of tax' and they will have brought this abuse to an end.
              That part is not exactly hard to spin, just look around
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

the electorate is becoming much more clued up and fluid since Brexit.
                I wish I shared that view.

Comment

You think they have, given the election result and that we're only about to finish phase 1 of Brexit?

The country is divided and the divisions are set to stay and increase
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                    What are you going to do about it? Leave the country? Would you easily get a work visa post brexit britain? You’ll have to make sure that, no matter what, you can make ends meet or go live on street.
                    Probably a lot people of your/our generation will be alright, but what about your kids/grandkids?

What people don't understand is that they should vote thinking about the future generations and not only thinking about themselves. Just because we managed to make some money, doesn't mean our kids will.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                      Probably a lot people of your/our generation will be alright, but what about your kids/grandkids?

What people don't understand is that they should vote thinking about the future generations and not only thinking about themselves.
                      Yes but that's not pertinent to this thread.

Oh...it's in general.

Carry on, as you were.

Comment

Working...
                      X