• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A view of IR35 from a hiring manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you're saying. What I don't agree with is that it will become Boris' Poll Tax moment. There will always be more idiots who will believe that we are just 'taking back control, punishing the elite, keeping out the lefties, getting ***** done' and a hundred other reasons that the useful idiots lap up like retarded poodles.

There were large numbers of people on this very forum who laughed about the prospect of extending the scope of IR35 in the public sector coming out with all sorts of stupid tulipe about why it wouldn't happen in the private sector, principally, that the tories support business and the private sector. In a way they were right, they support the upper echelons of the private sector and in doing so, are happy to bum-rape the people who actually work in any sort of 'industry' because there are literally millions of people in third world countries who can replace them, cheaper.
    Yeah, I agree, it's not a poll tax level event.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      There were large numbers of people on this very forum who laughed about the prospect of extending the scope of IR35 in the public sector coming out with all sorts of stupid tulipe about why it wouldn't happen in the private sector, principally, that the tories support business and the private sector. In a way they were right, they support the upper echelons of the private sector and in doing so, are happy to bum-rape the people who actually work in any sort of 'industry' because there are literally millions of people in third world countries who can replace them, cheaper.
      this was obvious from the second expenses were removed from limited companies - the compromise agreement some organisations proudly TALKED about where umbrellas didn’t pay expenses showed exactly what was going to happen.

its why I’ve spent years moving from a contractor into anything but being one.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        its why I’ve spent years moving from a contractor into anything but being one.
        Yeah, we know eek. I think you may have mentioned it before. Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Yeah, we know eek. I think you may have mentioned it before. Good for you.
          It does show the point that a lot of contractors really were just well paid temps with tax benefits.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            If more companies follow the model being discussed in Mattfx's post then it ultimately will affect a lot of households. It's the perfect way to get around a lot of pesky nonsense like Uber, Deliveroo, Hermes couriers etc. Put everyone you can't offshore through an umbrella - pick up and drop as you wish, no rights, no benefits. It'll take a good few years but it's not entirely improbable.
            My mate used to install credit card machines.

He was paid via an umbrella.

It's quite surprising that Uber etc. haven't cottoned on to that idea.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

It does show the point that a lot of contractors really were just well paid temps with tax benefits.
              No it doesn't, because you can say that about anybody doing anything. You can reduce any argument down to something silly.

Comment

It does show the point that a lot of contractors really were just well-paid temps with tax benefits.
                A lot of capable people choose to contract as a career due to it being high paid and politics-free. Now that career option has ended I guess up the corporate poll will now be the preferred option.
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Or pole as the case might be.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    don't worry Boris is opening the flood gates.. Highly skilled migrants will be available at minimum wage.

Doesn't he know they need the middle earners for the second 60% of tax that the low earners need as subsidies.
                    UNITED KINGDOM: Post-Brexit Immigration System - Update

Tier 2 visa cap will be removed to make it easier for highly-skilled workers to come to the UK post Brexit.
                    Contractors will be replaced by tier 2 visa holders on £41.5k salary

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                      Hi CUK. For the first time in a while I posted a new article on LI about IR35 and why from a hiring perspective, actually, hiring workers under a brolly looks more attractive than using a permie right now. You all know why it's bad news, but if you'd give the article a read and maybe toss a couple of likes at it to give it some exposure, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, here's the link:

IR35: Unintended Consequences; the Death of the Permanent Employee
                      I think the Conservative government needs to tread very carefully with this, because if companies start using this as way of avoiding hiring people permanently, paying their NI, pension, holidays etc then we will likely see Rebecca Long-Bailey in power at the next election.

If the gig economy goes mainstream without any rights to pension, holidays and the rest then that is a massive betrayal of the social contract and there will be a backlash.

I say all that as someone who is more likely to vote Conservative than not.

Comment

Working...
                      X