• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A view of IR35 from a hiring manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Salary Sacrifice £40k per year into your pension...

Get your company to match your contributions.
    (Reducing Employer and Employee NI contributions)

When you get to 55 draw 25% TAX FREE.
    hmmm :

...not sure about this ... you are your employer according to the stupid iR35 rules.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
      hmmm :

...not sure about this ... you are your employer according to the stupid iR35 rules.
      Well go and see your accountant. Let him/her explain it to you. That is their area of expertise.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Well go and see your accountant. Let him/her explain it to you. That is their area of expertise.
        I know exactly how it works. Apologies for my rather stupidity written post.

What I was trying to point out is that it's pointless trying to get your employer to match the contributions when you are effectively providing all the money to your supposed 'employer' anyway ... in most cases being the Umbrella Company going forward.

The whole thing is absurd. For many of us, we have been identified as a disguised employee of a Company ... but we have to pay the Employer NI. Whats even worse is that we then have to find a 'third party' to act as our employer .... but we are giving them all of our money so they can then pay it back to us, give the tax to the HMRC etc. and make a few bob themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
          I know exactly how it works. Apologies for my rather stupidity written post.

What I was trying to point out is that it's pointless trying to get your employer to match the contributions when you are effectively providing all the money to your supposed 'employer' anyway ... in most cases being the Umbrella Company going forward.

The whole thing is absurd. For many of us, we have been identified as a disguised employee of a Company ... but we have to pay the Employer NI. Whats even worse is that we then have to find a 'third party' to act as our employer .... but we are giving them all of our money so they can then pay it back to us, give the tax to the HMRC etc. and make a few bob themselves.
          Actually, judging by your response, I would suggest you don't understand how it works.

Oh, we're in General...
          Ok, you thick twunt, either go and see an accountant or not, no skin off my nose. It's blatantly obvious you're a
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Actually, judging by your response, I would suggest you don't understand how it works.

Oh, we're in General...
            Ok, you thick twunt, either go and see an accountant or not, no skin off my nose. It's blatantly obvious you're a
            Ok ... I'll Bite

1. Salary Sacrifice £40k per year into your pension...

2. Get your company to match your contributions.

3. When you get to 55 draw 25% TAX FREE.

Totally agree with 1 and 3.

When you say in 2 ... 'company' .... what company ? The end client? .... the intermediary eg. Umbrella .... your Limited Company if you (still) have one ?

As you say I must be a th&ck tw&t as I certainly don't understand who you mean by Company ... does anybody else?

Comment

The idea that you'll get the same quality of person at the same pay regardless of whether it's a contract or a permanent job is wrong. The extra security of a "permanent" role is worth something to the worker, so if you don't want to give that, you'll have to pay more, on average.

Comment

if you work through an umbrella company , can you ask them to put 40k into your SIPP ?

Comment

yes

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    if you work through an umbrella company , can you ask them to put 40k into your SIPP ?
                    Only some and couldn't previously so it's new. Needs a lot of research.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      Yes, that's correct. Paystream will do this. One of the only ones who will. Others offer SS but not directly into your SIPP.

You will need to take the minimum wage but after that you can pay everything (up to 40K) into the SIPP, thus avoiding all deductions. Whats more, as long as you have had you SIPP open for the period, you can backpay for 3 years too. Basically it's the only benefit we have left if caught by IR35.

There are quite a few posts about it on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X