• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Unions not concerned?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Unions not concerned?

Perhaps its my lack of research but I am very surprised to find little comment from Unions regarding IR35. Its almost like Freelancers are creating a diversion for a law which is actually reshaping the much wider labour market. Most western governments are struggling to reshape tax for the low paid gig workers working for large businesses so in comes IR35. But I can foresee the legitimisation of a new class of employee through IR35 that employers can use in the future for new hires of any type.

Originally posted by Ramsayp View Post
    Perhaps its my lack of research but I am very surprised to find little comment from Unions regarding IR35. Its almost like Freelancers are creating a diversion for a law which is actually reshaping the much wider labour market. Most western governments are struggling to reshape tax for the low paid gig workers working for large businesses so in comes IR35. But I can foresee the legitimisation of a new class of employee through IR35 that employers can use in the future for new hires of any type.
    a new class of employee
    yes, taxed as an employee without employee benefits, with the individual paying the EERS NI!

Comment

On the whole, people who might be affected by IR35, are the very people the unions demonise as the top 5% tax dodgers.
      I'm surprised at your surprise.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Unions are not what they used to be, they don't serve their members but have their own agenda. Look how they cheer immigration and stagnant wages.

Comment

The unions have been cheer-leading the IR35 changes for years. They want everyone to be an employee and to have the rights thereof... as long as they pay their union membership; natch.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            Unions are not what they used to be, they don't serve their members but have their own agenda. Look how they cheer immigration and stagnant wages.
            They are the marketing dept. of the Marxist Left these days. If all their members were doing very nicely, there'd be no reason for most of the unions to exist. So it's very much in their interests to have low wage growth, while creating conflict with employers and Tory governments. Watch how much influence the big unions try to exert over the Labour leadership election, and which candidates they endorse.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

IR35 doesn't affect anyone who might join a union (and unions only care about people who pay their membership dues)
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

They made their beds. They can lie on them.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                unions only care about people who pay their membership dues)
                Quite right. Their job is to protect their own. The protectors of the working classes are the Labour Party. Unfortunately the working classes voted for the Loony Right, so they're on their own now. And no sympathy from me.
                "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  And no sympathy from me.
                  wgaf?

Comment

There is IPSE, they are the most useless bunch though

Comment

Working...
                    X