• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

M-m-m-m-mega unboom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M-m-m-m-mega unboom

Jeez, what a day. None of it entirely unexpected, but so far I've had confirmation that the project, and therefore the budget for me, is indeed closing in a few weeks. I've also been informed that some weekend work I did is as an SOS is unable to be funded, which is pretty irritating though at least it gets me some time off I suppose. And I didn't win another piece of side work (from another customer) which would have been a nice way to soften the blow.

And, of course, every role I can see is inside IR35 despite being consultancy and requiring travel.

At least Plan B's new website is nearly done - see if I can get some scraps from that.

First time proactively looking for a job since I took a few months off after my son was born in 2016, too
    Last edited by vwdan; 29 January 2020, 12:48.

^-1

Sucky.

Comment

That's sad news indeed.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, but at least it's some small comfort that it has half-expected, and that it's not only your ship that's sinking - it's the entire armada of contractors in the UK. Thanks Sajid.

Comment

I hope something shows up

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Jeez, what a day. None of it entirely unexpected, but so far I've had confirmation that the project, and therefore the budget for me, is indeed closing in a few weeks. I've also been informed that some weekend work I did is as an SOS is unable to be funded, which is pretty irritating though at least it gets me some time off I suppose. And I didn't win another piece of side work (from another customer) which would have been a nice way to soften the blow.

And, of course, every role I can see is inside IR35 despite being consultancy and requiring travel.

At least Plan B's new website is nearly done - see if I can get some scraps from that.

First time proactively looking for a job since I took a few months off after my son was born in 2016, too
            If consultancies want you inside then they need to treat you as an employee and let you claim travel expenses to client - have you asked?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              If consultancies want you inside then they need to treat you as an employee and let you claim travel expenses to client - have you asked?
              Not a conversation I've had yet - just my initial findings after a cursory job search. I will say, however, that rates aren't too bad so that gives me some hope that it's feasible.

Comment

That's a bummer
                Still, I think that the private sector ir35 thing is likely to produce some opportunities - if you are able to move fast, which being on the bench will enable you to do.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

You did weekend work not sure you'd get paid?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    You did weekend work not sure you'd get paid?
                    Yes, I took a calculated risk given the nature of the requirement. Worst case is I take some days off and get paid for them, so I'm not going to "lose out", I'd just rather the cold hard cash.

Comment

Working...
                    X