M-m-m-m-mega unboom M-m-m-m-mega unboom
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Default M-m-m-m-mega unboom

Jeez, what a day. None of it entirely unexpected, but so far I've had confirmation that the project, and therefore the budget for me, is indeed closing in a few weeks. I've also been informed that some weekend work I did is as an SOS is unable to be funded, which is pretty irritating though at least it gets me some time off I suppose. And I didn't win another piece of side work (from another customer) which would have been a nice way to soften the blow.

And, of course, every role I can see is inside IR35 despite being consultancy and requiring travel.

At least Plan B's new website is nearly done - see if I can get some scraps from that.

First time proactively looking for a job since I took a few months off after my son was born in 2016, too
    Last edited by vwdan; 29th January 2020 at 12:48.

Godlike

jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

^-1

Sucky.

Godlike

ladymuck is always on top

That's sad news indeed.

Godlike

ChimpMaster is NOT a disguised employee

Sorry to hear that, but at least it's some small comfort that it has half-expected, and that it's not only your ship that's sinking - it's the entire armada of contractors in the UK. Thanks Sajid.

Ducklike

Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

I hope something shows up

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Jeez, what a day. None of it entirely unexpected, but so far I've had confirmation that the project, and therefore the budget for me, is indeed closing in a few weeks. I've also been informed that some weekend work I did is as an SOS is unable to be funded, which is pretty irritating though at least it gets me some time off I suppose. And I didn't win another piece of side work (from another customer) which would have been a nice way to soften the blow.

And, of course, every role I can see is inside IR35 despite being consultancy and requiring travel.

At least Plan B's new website is nearly done - see if I can get some scraps from that.

First time proactively looking for a job since I took a few months off after my son was born in 2016, too
    If consultancies want you inside then they need to treat you as an employee and let you claim travel expenses to client - have you asked?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    If consultancies want you inside then they need to treat you as an employee and let you claim travel expenses to client - have you asked?
    Not a conversation I've had yet - just my initial findings after a cursory job search. I will say, however, that rates aren't too bad so that gives me some hope that it's feasible.

Contractor Among Contractors

GJABS - scorchio!

That's a bummer
    Still, I think that the private sector ir35 thing is likely to produce some opportunities - if you are able to move fast, which being on the bench will enable you to do.

Ddraig Goch

psychocandy - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post

You did weekend work not sure you'd get paid?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    You did weekend work not sure you'd get paid?
    Yes, I took a calculated risk given the nature of the requirement. Worst case is I take some days off and get paid for them, so I'm not going to "lose out", I'd just rather the cold hard cash.