• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using same provider for SIPP and ISA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using same provider for SIPP and ISA

Posted in general as this is an idea that I am not suggesting. Just a thought experiment.

Suppose I use BigFundCo for my SIPP. Into which I have historically paid company money, avoiding CT.
    Suppose I am going inside IR35 in April, with a different client. And will close the company. The company has £50k

Scenario
    I setup an ISA with BigFundCo and pay £20k in now, and £20k in April, and put it in the accounts as SIPP pension.
    The bank statement will say payment to BigFundCo reference xxxxxxxx.
    Then close the company taking the last £10k as CG and pay no tax on that.
    Thet take the £40k out of the ISA and trouser it (or leave it there as I choose)
    Other than the fact it's probably illegal what are the flaws?

It would take a very detailed investigaton to uncover the fact that the payments have gone to a different reference number. Is there any specific checks that providers do to prevent this? I've not seen any.

Or is this something that people already do and keep very quiet about?
    See You Next Tuesday

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Posted in general as this is an idea that I am not suggesting. Just a thought experiment.

Suppose I use BigFundCo for my SIPP. Into which I have historically paid company money, avoiding CT.
    Suppose I am going inside IR35 in April, with a different client. And will close the company. The company has £50k

Scenario
    I setup an ISA with BigFundCo and pay £20k in now, and £20k in April, and put it in the accounts as SIPP pension.
    The bank statement will say payment to BigFundCo reference xxxxxxxx.
    Then close the company taking the last £10k as CG and pay no tax on that.
    Thet take the £40k out of the ISA and trouser it (or leave it there as I choose)
    Other than the fact it's probably illegal what are the flaws?

It would take a very detailed investigaton to uncover the fact that the payments have gone to a different reference number. Is there any specific checks that providers do to prevent this? I've not seen any.

Or is this something that people already do and keep very quiet about?
    You assume the transactions on the bank statements would both be the same?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      You assume the transactions on the bank statements would both be the same?
      they'd be broadly similar I believe.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        Is this allowed?
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          Is this allowed?
          No. That's the point of the question. I know it's illegal, but the likelehood of getting caught seems very low.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Rather than bank statement references, could an investigator ask to look at the pension statement and validate the value of the pension?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Rather than bank statement references, could an investigator ask to look at the pension statement and validate the value of the pension?
              I guess they could, but would they dig that deep?
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X