• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flying and the coronavirus infection

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying and the coronavirus infection

If you were having to take a flight (and knowing as I do how the air conditioning system on a aircraft function), would you wear a medical face mask?
    Yes, I'd wear a mask
    18.75%
    No, don't be weird
    68.75%
    I'd not fly
    12.50%
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

The number of cases are doubling roughly every 2 days. Of course, we have to see if this continues. When I look for doubling from 200 to 400 to 800, here is what I get:

Days Between Number of cases
      Jan 20 start 200
      2 400
      2 800
      1.5 1,600
      2 3,200
      2 (Jan 29) 6,400 (actual number is 7,763, suspected 12,000)

It looks like this monster Virus is doubling every 2 days. Of course, we have to see if this trend continues or the time it takes to double slows down. If it stays the same for 10 days, here's what it looks like:

2 12,800
      2 25,600
      2 51,200
      2 102,400
      2 (Feb 10) 204,800

So I would say that what happens in the next 10 days is critical. Scary.

If you assume cases double for the entire month of February, the number is 200 million. Spanish flu was 500 million. This is just math. We have to see what happens but we aren't going to have to wait too long.

If you compare the Wuhan Virus to SARS, the Wuhan Virus has generated about the same number of cases in 10 days that SARS took 8 months to generate. If this doesn't worry you, what does?
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          If you were having to take a flight (and knowing as I do how the air conditioning system on a aircraft function), would you wear a medical face mask?
          The last time you played the "Instant expert, just add hot water" game, you got your arse handed to you on a plate. And the time before that, and the time before that, and the time before that...
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Two cases now in the UK. Dooooomed!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Two cases now in the UK. Dooooomed!
              Pull up the drawbridge! Oops, sorry, we can't do that until after 23:00 GMT
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Just go about your business and screw the consequences. It'll get you one way or another if it's really as bad as worse case scenario predictions (not sure if those are from loony tune scaremongers or official people that know what they are talking about, i.e. no one on here. )

To paraphrase Ivan Drago "If he lives, he lives".

May as well get sick while there's still tier 1 treatment available in the UK and not when the NHS is overwhelmed with all the chinese students that flew back recently. i.e. first cases have a better chance of survival than those caught up in a wider panic regardless of how many true cases there are.

May the fittest survive. Apparently it affects older men rather than women, so if we survive there's all those women that will be feeling lonely.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                  Just go about your business and screw the consequences. It'll get you one way or another if it's really as bad as worse case scenario predictions (not sure if those are from loony tune scaremongers or official people that know what they are talking about, i.e. no one on here. )

To paraphrase Ivan Drago "If he lives, he lives".

May as well get sick while there's still tier 1 treatment available in the UK and not when the NHS is overwhelmed with all the chinese students that flew back recently. i.e. first cases have a better chance of survival than those caught up in a wider panic regardless of how many true cases there are.

May the fittest survive. Apparently it affects older men rather than women, so if we survive there's all those women that will be feeling lonely.
                  Yeah but if I'm going to die I'd rather it not be drowning in a pool of my own snot.

Comment

Zombie Apocalypse

Comment

Working...
                    X