• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Office location and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Office location and IR35

QDOS assessment - long and short of it is that it is pointing to the need for a separate office and business address than the home address.

There are a couple of options ranging from virtual office address for mail only, hot-desking through to renting a desk. Not huge money - mailing address is £50, hot-desk is £100 and a physical desk is £250. Local firm 10 mins walk from home. It helps that for current gig I can be remote 2/3 days a week.

Anyone else been there and what did you end up doing?

Sounds a little far-fetched to me. What did they actually say? The ability to deliver from a location of your choosing is not unimportant, but the rest is window dressing.

Comment

That does sound a bit odd. Never had a requirement like that as part of the feedback. Granted, I've not used Qdos for contract assessment for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Sounds a little far-fetched to me. What did they actually say? The ability to deliver from a location of your choosing is not unimportant, but the rest is window dressing.
        The QDOS question is asking about if the company has an office which they can provide services from that is NOT the contractors house. It does not say it can't be a shed in the garden mind you.... But it is clear that it's after a separate business premises. I completed the QDOS questions a few years ago when with the civil service - the latest questions are quite different in places.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
          The QDOS question is asking about if the company has an office which they can provide services from that is NOT the contractors house. It does not say it can't be a shed in the garden mind you.... But it is clear that it's after a separate business premises. I completed the QDOS questions a few years ago when with the civil service - the latest questions are quite different in places.
          Hmmm. Well, I can’t really see what they’re getting at TBH. It’s good to be able to deliver from a location of your choosing, but that’s about it really. Choosing a home office is fine. Perhaps they are trying to wrap this up with a minor in-business factor, a bit like having a website, but it sounds a little silly to me. If you’re a member of IPSE, I think you have access to some shared office spaces.

Comment

It's one question in the SDC section of the working arrangements questionnaire and a supplemental one to whether or not you can decide where you provide services from. It's not a major point to worry about.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              It's one question in the SDC section of the working arrangements questionnaire and a supplemental one to whether or not you can decide where you provide services from. It's not a major point to worry about.
              OK, makes more sense if it’s two separate questions. The first one is more important (ability to choose location), the second is just a minor in-business thing.

Comment

OP: I definitely wouldn’t be spending money artificially to check that box. Waste of time. If you can choose location, that’s good enough as far as that aspect of control goes.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  WHS. Definitely not a need/requirement.
                  Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Contractor View Post
                    WHS. Definitely not a need/requirement.
                    If it's not a requirement and not needed, why is it included?

Does the location have to be an office and how is 'office' defined? I often use The Workroom to rent a table at one of a few restaurants in London to work from. It's better than Starbucks any day, much nicer facilities and no need to buy a cup of brown sludge every few hours to avoid being kicked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X