• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Am I right about this divi tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pscont View Post
    However Scots are much better human material than English, so money hit is bearable.
    Your posting history doesn't lend credence to the value of your assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      If one lives in Scotland one has made a bad mistake as long as the SNP and Greens together have the ability to set tax rates.
      However, the majority of working people, earning less than the threshold, pay less than they do in England and Wales.

Go figure. Maybe your world is entirely populated by contractors and the majority of working people don't matter.
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Matter of opinion mate. Are you saying I am not allowed an opinion?
        Seeing as it's a racist opinion, I suspect you aren't allowed to express it and the mods will be along soon.

That's only my opinion, though, if I'm allowed it.

Comment

Your posting history doesn't lend credence to the value of your assessment.
          I dont give a flipping toss.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            However, the majority of working people, earning less than the threshold, pay less than they do in England and Wales.
            Ha. Figured one of your type might show up.

The majority of working people need jobs. Which means tax policies that encourage the people who employ them to move south aren't very intelligent.

"Here's a tax cut of £100 quid for you, but we're trying to get rid of your employer."

Comment

Matter of opinion mate. Are you saying I am not allowed an opinion?
              You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to be taken seriously nor are you entiteld to not be called out for being a bell end.
              So if you have bigotted views, just keep them to yourself, or do it in General where we can have a pop back.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Ha. Figured one of your type might show up.

The majority of working people need jobs. Which means tax policies that encourage the people who employ them to move south aren't very intelligent.

"Here's a tax cut of £100 quid for you, but we're trying to get rid of your employer."
                You remind me of my sister (She's a fucking idiot as well). When the Scottish tax rates changed, she was going to chuck her head teacher post in a private school and move to England, completely ignoring the fact that she's not paying tuition fees for her son's degree or private water rates, amounting to some £10,500 per year.

Believe it or not, employers don't skip the country for a £100 tax rise either and neither do employees. If they do, you'll probably have to **** off to another country when IR35 4 all kicks in. Although, that would probably be a good thing.

Twat.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

If one lives in Scotland the amount they have to earn in total before the dividend tax becomes 32.5% is £43431.
                  Compared to £50000 in the rest of UK.

Am I right?

No, you're wrong.

I was mis-advised by NixonWilliams of this, as were many of their Scottish residents. I only realised their mistake last year when another NW customer in Edinburgh mentioned it to me, then another 3 chimed in and checked their tax return. Sure enough, wrong information from NixonWilliams.

They really are atrocious. I hope they go bust due to the IR35 changes and contractors deserting them.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    ...redacted to save the mod having to do it when they come across your post...
                    Sorry, mate, it's not General, you can't use language like that here.

I actually looked it up, so let's put some facts to it, shall we? I apologise for mentioning £100, silly me.

This glorious tax benefit for the less well off is a maximum of £20. Less if you earn less than £14,549, but from that level up to £24,944, it's £20. Everyone on that salary should move to Scotland and collect their tax benefit, and buy a fish supper for the family (if it's a very small family). Truly a life-changing amount.

If you are earn between £24,945 and £27K, they start to claw back your £20, it's all gone at £27K. From then, you pay more.
                    Not a lot more at first -- only £155 more up to £43,430. Then it starts to hurt. At £50K (most employers will want to take home more than that) it's £1544. Above that, it's merely an additional 1%, £10 for every £1K.

You actually are correct that most probably wouldn't move for that amount. But if you are looking to start a business and could choose between England and Scotland, you can see the direction of travel on tax.

As for your sister's son, he's obviously one of the lucky ones. A lot of Scots can't get into Scottish universities. The universities are giving places to people who pay instead. Funny how that works. Basic economics, basic human nature. Brilliant utopian plans fail again because they forget to take into account human nature.

Anyway, I'm done. One of us brings insults, one of us brings facts. Maybe you'll get to see this and give us another rant before the mods catch up with you and delete the whole thing.

Comment

And one stupid question.
                      When you take divi, is the amount of divi added to your other income to determine the divi tax?
                      Example.
                      Income of £40 000, £12000 divi. Tax is 7.5% on £10k.
                      However income of £40k and £32k Divi will have, 7.5% on £10k and 32.5% on £20k. Is this correct?
                      It is not like 7.5% on £30k Divi, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X