• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shamima Begum loses first stage of appeal against citizenship removal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting, so guilt can be determined from a TV interview.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Bank Holiday View Post
      Im not going to comment on thi.

Knee jerk reactions are generly not partuicularly constructive.

One has to feel some symapathy by virtue of the fact that she had 3 kids and lost them all.

whether ot not she should be allowed back in to Great Brittain is another matter.
      You just did.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Interesting, so guilt can be determined from a TV interview.
        I believe that her guilt was actually determined by some testimony given by some Yazidi women after she assisted in their capture and rape etc.

Another contender for the in-human rights brigade ...

Comment

One thing that impressed me is how badly she did in that interview and how it essentially ruined her life. She hid her baby under her dress without explanation in a way that looked bizarre and shifty, then said some really stupid things to infuriate the viewers. The outcome was that her kid died just a few days later, she remains in the camp and has lost her citizenship.

If she had had some PR advice, she would have showed everyone the little British kid and how much it was suffering and cried for forgiveness. I'm certain the result would have been an immediate flight out and medical care for the kid.

I wonder how the BBC journalist that orchestrated that interview feels about his responsibility for the death of that innocent kid?

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
            I believe that her guilt was actually determined by some testimony given by some Yazidi women after she assisted in their capture and rape etc.

Another contender for the in-human rights brigade ...
            The decision to strip her of her citizenship was taken immediately after the TV interview.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
              One thing that impressed me is how badly she did in that interview and how it essentially ruined her life. She hid her baby under her dress without explanation in a way that looked bizarre and shifty, then said some really stupid things to infuriate the viewers. The outcome was that her kid died just a few days later, she remains in the camp and has lost her citizenship.

If she had had some PR advice, she would have showed everyone the little British kid and how much it was suffering and cried for forgiveness. I'm certain the result would have been an immediate flight out and medical care for the kid.

I wonder how the BBC journalist that orchestrated that interview feels about his responsibility for the death of that innocent kid?
              She made the decisions - nobody else.

She now needs to live with the consequences of her own actions.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                She made the decisions - nobody else. She now needs to live with the consequences of her own actions.
                She was just a kid when she made them, paid pretty heavy price already.

In the meantime there are dozens of convicted UK men for terrorism offences who will be released over next few years, two of which already attempted to kill people after release.

That's what you get when Govt is more interested in PR rather than proper tough action against those who deserve it.

--

Pretty shady practice in the least too - she had no other citizenship and general convention in the world is that citizen must not be deprived of the only citizenship, just because she can apply somewhere else is BS - on that basis lots of people with Irish descent could lose their British passports on the basis that they've been in some way involved with terrorists.

And why Korbyn isn't losing his passport? Arguebly he causes much bigger damage being friendly with terrorists.
                Last edited by AtW; 10 February 2020, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  She was just a kid when she made them, paid pretty heavy price already.

In the meantime there are dozens of convicted UK men for terrorism offences who will be released over next few years, two of which already attempted to kill people after release.

That's what you get when Govt is more interested in PR rather than proper tough action against those who deserve it.

--

Pretty shady practice in the least too - she had no other citizenship and general convention in the world is that citizen must not be deprived of the only citizenship, just because she can apply somewhere else is BS - on that basis lots of people with Irish descent could lose their British passports on the basis that they've been in some way involved with terrorists.

And why Korbyn isn't losing his passport? Arguebly he causes much bigger damage being friendly with terrorists.
                  Yes the whole concept of terrorists and how we deal with them needs to be reviewed - but treating them like other criminals is not the answer.

However what ever is going on with terrorists in UK jails does not influence this case.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    However what ever is going on with terrorists in UK jails does not influence this case.
                    I don't think she broke any laws, and if she did then she should get fair trial in UK.

Laws can't be selectively applied - there were hundreds if not thousands UK citizens who went to fight for ISIS and how many of them lost their citizenship?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      I don't think she broke any laws, and if she did then she should get fair trial in UK.

Laws can't be selectively applied - there were hundreds if not thousands UK citizens who went to fight for ISIS and how many of them lost their citizenship?
                      If, during WW2, a Russian decided to go and fight for Germany against Russia what we he/she have been classed as?

And what would the punishment have been?

Comment

Working...
                      X