• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Twit leaving before end of his contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this guy signs a contract to stay in quarantine for 14 days to protect the public from a potential coronavirus outbreak. Now decides he's had enough and wants to leave early!

Coronavirus: Four more people diagnosed in UK - BBC News

On Monday, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he had introduced new regulations in England as "the transmission of coronavirus would constitute a serious threat".

The BBC's political correspondent Iain Watson said the measures were announced because a passenger on the first UK flight from Wuhan, who is currently being held in quarantine on the Wirral, "is threatening to abscond".
    Whitehall sources say the latest Department of Health announcement on the virus threat covers the tightening of some regulations to help enforce quarantine powers.

This gives legal underpinning to the quarantining of people back from Wuhan in Milton Keynes and the Wirral.

They all signed contracts committing to the 14-day isolation but it's understood that more rigorous regulations are needed to ensure people stay the course.
    The thing that concerns me more than the virus is the stupidity and selfishness of some people.

Secondly whoever wrote that contract should be fired for not inserting a notice period clause!

It's always going to be difficult/impossible to enforce in a free country.
    You can lock people up as a result of a trial. Or for short term pending a trial/charging.
    Or longer for being crazy and dangerous.

Any new laws to force quarantine are almost certainly going to fall foul of human rights laws.

China can do what they want. We can't.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The cat s already out of the bag I think. Looking like we are going to get widespread infection before too much longer.

Brighton GP practice closes due to coronavirus - BBC News

There will have been potentially 100's of people going in and out, many of whom will be elderly, very young or others at increased risk.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        It's always going to be difficult/impossible to enforce in a free country.
        You can lock people up as a result of a trial. Or for short term pending a trial/charging.
        Or longer for being crazy and dangerous.

Any new laws to force quarantine are almost certainly going to fall foul of human rights laws.

China can do what they want. We can't.
        Huānyíng lái dào yīngguó tuì ōu

Coronavirus: UK cases double as four more people diagnosed - BBC News
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
          So this guy signs a contract to stay in quarantine for 14 days to protect the public from a potential coronavirus outbreak. Now decides he's had enough and wants to leave early!
          I wonder if he asked his accountant.

Maybe he wanted to claim JSA?

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            The thing that concerns me more than the virus is the stupidity and selfishness of some people.

Secondly whoever wrote that contract should be fired for not inserting a notice period clause!

The Chinese people come into a league of their own in this regard. It's me me me - sod everyone else.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              The Chinese people come into a league of their own in this regard. It's me me me - sod everyone else.
              Really? Huge areas of China are in lock-down. Everyone in Wuhan has been told to stay in their houses until the 15th.

I’ve been working closely with a Chinese colleague until now and she’s stuck in her home until then. I only have a 1 hour contact in the morning with her before her home broadband grinds to a halt.

I think that they’re doing rather a lot. I’d like to see our government try an close down Manchester or Glasgow and see where it gets them.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm wondering if he's referring to east/west cultural differences such as the very western (or british?) habit of queueing. I've been to several countries in Asia and noticed it doesn't tend to happen there, just a free for all. It doesn't mean we're any less 'me..me..me' in other areas though.

We don't even know the nationality of the guy in the article who wanted to leave quarantine early, he's most likely British.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Really? Huge areas of China are in lock-down. Everyone in Wuhan has been told to stay in their houses until the 15th.

I’ve been working closely with a Chinese colleague until now and she’s stuck in her home until then. I only have a 1 hour contact in the morning with her before her home broadband grinds to a halt.

I think that they’re doing rather a lot. I’d like to see our government try an close down Manchester or Glasgow and see where it gets them.

This is spooter posting, noddy planks are brighter.

The infection spread is due to governments not people in a panic. Its their job to rule and control this sort of thing. Ours clearly isn't.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    The infection spread is due to governments not people in a panic. Its their job to rule and control this sort of thing. Ours clearly isn't.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Meanwhile in Myanmar..

Quieter Response to Coronavirus in Countries Where China Holds Sway - The New York Times

...eat more onions

Even high-level officials have been trading in folk remedies. After a Facebook user in Myanmar wrote a widely read tribute to onions as a way to prevent transmission of the coronavirus, the chief minister of Tanintharyi Division, U Myint Mg, shared the post on his Facebook page.
                    “The Chinese government has announced that people should consume and have on hand as many onions as they can,” the post read, with no basis in fact.
                    The monks have it figured out

loudspeakers broadcast advice from Buddhist monks: Seven ground peppercorns, exactly seven, placed on the tongue will ward off the coronavirus spreading across Asia and the world.
                    And in Indonesia..just enjoy the coronavirus

Mr. Terawan, the health minister, has suggested that the coronavirus will not affect people who exercise properly and sleep amply.

“Don’t fret,” he said. “Just enjoy and eat enough."

Comment

Working...
                    X