Twit leaving before end of his contract Twit leaving before end of his contract
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice has more data than eek

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,921

    Default Twit leaving before end of his contract

    So this guy signs a contract to stay in quarantine for 14 days to protect the public from a potential coronavirus outbreak. Now decides he's had enough and wants to leave early!

    Coronavirus: Four more people diagnosed in UK - BBC News

    On Monday, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock said he had introduced new regulations in England as "the transmission of coronavirus would constitute a serious threat".

    The BBC's political correspondent Iain Watson said the measures were announced because a passenger on the first UK flight from Wuhan, who is currently being held in quarantine on the Wirral, "is threatening to abscond".
    Whitehall sources say the latest Department of Health announcement on the virus threat covers the tightening of some regulations to help enforce quarantine powers.

    This gives legal underpinning to the quarantining of people back from Wuhan in Milton Keynes and the Wirral.

    They all signed contracts committing to the 14-day isolation but it's understood that more rigorous regulations are needed to ensure people stay the course.
    The thing that concerns me more than the virus is the stupidity and selfishness of some people.

    Secondly whoever wrote that contract should be fired for not inserting a notice period clause!

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Lance - scorchio!

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    4,745

    Default

    It's always going to be difficult/impossible to enforce in a free country.
    You can lock people up as a result of a trial. Or for short term pending a trial/charging.
    Or longer for being crazy and dangerous.

    Any new laws to force quarantine are almost certainly going to fall foul of human rights laws.

    China can do what they want. We can't.
    See You Next Tuesday

  3. #3

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    20,272

    Default

    The cat s already out of the bag I think. Looking like we are going to get widespread infection before too much longer.

    Brighton GP practice closes due to coronavirus - BBC News

    There will have been potentially 100's of people going in and out, many of whom will be elderly, very young or others at increased risk.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    LondonManc is a fount of knowledge


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    It's always going to be difficult/impossible to enforce in a free country.
    You can lock people up as a result of a trial. Or for short term pending a trial/charging.
    Or longer for being crazy and dangerous.

    Any new laws to force quarantine are almost certainly going to fall foul of human rights laws.

    China can do what they want. We can't.
    Huānyíng lái dào yīngguó tuì ōu

    Coronavirus: UK cases double as four more people diagnosed - BBC News
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  5. #5

    Super poster

    quackhandle - scorchio!

    quackhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bag End, The Shire, Middle Earth
    Posts
    2,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    So this guy signs a contract to stay in quarantine for 14 days to protect the public from a potential coronavirus outbreak. Now decides he's had enough and wants to leave early!
    I wonder if he asked his accountant.

    Maybe he wanted to claim JSA?

    qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

    I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.


  6. #6

    I live on CUK

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    20,548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    The thing that concerns me more than the virus is the stupidity and selfishness of some people.

    Secondly whoever wrote that contract should be fired for not inserting a notice period clause!

    The Chinese people come into a league of their own in this regard. It's me me me - sod everyone else.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

  7. #7

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak is always on top

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,221

    Default Twit leaving before end of his contract

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    The Chinese people come into a league of their own in this regard. It's me me me - sod everyone else.
    Really? Huge areas of China are in lock-down. Everyone in Wuhan has been told to stay in their houses until the 15th.

    I’ve been working closely with a Chinese colleague until now and she’s stuck in her home until then. I only have a 1 hour contact in the morning with her before her home broadband grinds to a halt.

    I think that they’re doing rather a lot. I’d like to see our government try an close down Manchester or Glasgow and see where it gets them.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice has more data than eek

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    I'm wondering if he's referring to east/west cultural differences such as the very western (or british?) habit of queueing. I've been to several countries in Asia and noticed it doesn't tend to happen there, just a free for all. It doesn't mean we're any less 'me..me..me' in other areas though.

    We don't even know the nationality of the guy in the article who wanted to leave quarantine early, he's most likely British.

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    32,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Really? Huge areas of China are in lock-down. Everyone in Wuhan has been told to stay in their houses until the 15th.

    I’ve been working closely with a Chinese colleague until now and she’s stuck in her home until then. I only have a 1 hour contact in the morning with her before her home broadband grinds to a halt.

    I think that they’re doing rather a lot. I’d like to see our government try an close down Manchester or Glasgow and see where it gets them.

    This is spooter posting, noddy planks are brighter.

    The infection spread is due to governments not people in a panic. Its their job to rule and control this sort of thing. Ours clearly isn't.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors

    CheeseSlice has more data than eek

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    The infection spread is due to governments not people in a panic. Its their job to rule and control this sort of thing. Ours clearly isn't.


    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    The infection spread is due to governments not people in a panic. Its their job to rule and control this sort of thing. Ours clearly isn't.
    Meanwhile in Myanmar..

    Quieter Response to Coronavirus in Countries Where China Holds Sway - The New York Times

    ...eat more onions

    Even high-level officials have been trading in folk remedies. After a Facebook user in Myanmar wrote a widely read tribute to onions as a way to prevent transmission of the coronavirus, the chief minister of Tanintharyi Division, U Myint Mg, shared the post on his Facebook page.
    “The Chinese government has announced that people should consume and have on hand as many onions as they can,” the post read, with no basis in fact.
    The monks have it figured out

    loudspeakers broadcast advice from Buddhist monks: Seven ground peppercorns, exactly seven, placed on the tongue will ward off the coronavirus spreading across Asia and the world.
    And in Indonesia..just enjoy the coronavirus

    Mr. Terawan, the health minister, has suggested that the coronavirus will not affect people who exercise properly and sleep amply.

    “Don’t fret,” he said. “Just enjoy and eat enough."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •