• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay in current role or accept role closer to home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stay in current role or accept role closer to home?

Hi all,

First of all apologies, this isn't a contract related post but for a perm role.

I've been in my current role for about seven months now, but was recently offered a role closer to home i.e. 1hr journey as opposed to 1 hour 30 mins at the moment, which is tempting as I have a 20 month daughter at home.

It's with a reputable company and overall package is better than my current package (slightly less base salary but better pension, bonus and has stock options). I can work from home and it's flexible hours which again helps with nursery drop offs. Work hours is also 30 mins less a day.

My current company also offers WFH and flexible hours, but as mentioned is further away. Also the work environment is chaotic in the sense that priorites keep changing and often work is not prioritised due to there being so much on. I also find myself doing work outside of my job remit. It has a start up mentality, hence the chaos at times and more varied work, but we're part of a bigger company who are doing well at the moment. On the flip side, the environment is laid back and senior figures are not constantly chasing me and I have a great relationship with my boss which is very important to me, as well as the rest of the team who are a good bunch. And generally speaking, I like the company and don't dread going to work in the mornings which is a positive in my books.

So my dilemma is whether to stay where I am due to my good relationship with my boss/team members, and the relaxed environment and deal with the negative aspects of the role. Or go to the new role due to it being closer to home, better overall package and hopefully a more settled environment where I'll be more suited to the work and possibly better for longer term. Although I'll be taking the risk of the unknown and potentially not getting on with my boss/team.

I appreciate I'm the only who can really answer the question but would be helpful to get other people's advice if they have been through similar experiences or even if they haven't!

Thanks very much.

Your kids only grow up once.

Be as big a part of it as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Henryboy View Post
      Hi all,

First of all apologies, this isn't a contract related post but for a perm role.

I've been in my current role for about seven months now, but was recently offered a role closer to home i.e. 1hr journey as opposed to 1 hour 30 mins at the moment, which is tempting as I have a 20 month daughter at home.

It's with a reputable company and overall package is better than my current package (slightly less base salary but better pension, bonus and has stock options). I can work from home and it's flexible hours which again helps with nursery drop offs. Work hours is also 30 mins less a day.

My current company also offers WFH and flexible hours, but as mentioned is further away. Also the work environment is chaotic in the sense that priorites keep changing and often work is not prioritised due to there being so much on. I also find myself doing work outside of my job remit. It has a start up mentality, hence the chaos at times and more varied work, but we're part of a bigger company who are doing well at the moment. On the flip side, the environment is laid back and senior figures are not constantly chasing me and I have a great relationship with my boss which is very important to me, as well as the rest of the team who are a good bunch. And generally speaking, I like the company and don't dread going to work in the mornings which is a positive in my books.

So my dilemma is whether to stay where I am due to my good relationship with my boss/team members, and the relaxed environment and deal with the negative aspects of the role. Or go to the new role due to it being closer to home, better overall package and hopefully a more settled environment where I'll be more suited to the work and possibly better for longer term. Although I'll be taking the risk of the unknown and potentially not getting on with my boss/team.

I appreciate I'm the only who can really answer the question but would be helpful to get other people's advice if they have been through similar experiences or even if they haven't!

Thanks very much.
      I think this may be you answering your own question...especially as the boss at your current place isn't guaranteed to be there and could move.
      I'll be surprised if anyone on here gives you advice on this as you're right, only you can make the choice.
      Me..I always pick family if the money pays the bills. But that's just me (EDIT: And original PM by the look of it )
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Christ knows.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Christ knows.
          No, I don't!

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Your kids only grow up once.

Be as big a part of it as you can.
            I think this what it all comes down to, I want to be there as much as I can for her. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
              I think this may be you answering your own question...especially as the boss at your current place isn't guaranteed to be there and could move.
              I'll be surprised if anyone on here gives you advice on this as you're right, only you can make the choice.
              Me..I always pick family if the money pays the bills. But that's just me (EDIT: And original PM by the look of it )
              Yes, I think there is a chance my boss will think of moving in the next year or two, so I shouldn't rely on her hanging around. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Henryboy View Post
                Yes, I think there is a chance my boss will think of moving in the next year or two, so I shouldn't rely on her hanging around. Thanks.
                If you haven't already met the team you'll be moving in to and the surrounding teams and managers then do that first at the new place. Trust your gut feeling after meeting everybody. Do this before accepting the job or signing any paperwork and it could be the best way to tell if you feel you should make the move.

Although my work is purely short term contracts I always do this after a physical interview if I think the project sounds interesting and the interview has went well. I've walked out of interviews before when I gauge they want free consultancy or have a toxic 'Barry Big Balls' superior or/and sour HR involvement.

On two occasions the interview has been great but then I meet the teams and surrounding areas, ask some key questions that aren't particularly detailed but reveal how chaotic the place is, and exit quickly stating that the workplace culture doesn't work for me. Some companies (finance) are toxic and have perfected the art of bs'ing in the interview, coming across amazingly well, only for it to be a lie to get you in the door.

From your undetailed overview of the job itself it sounds like you should be moving to the new role. You're still in a probation period in the current job in which you aren't entitled to any redundancy or extra benefits anyway, so you're not missing much.

Comment

Why were you looking for another role

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    If you haven't already met the team you'll be moving in to and the surrounding teams and managers then do that first at the new place. Trust your gut feeling after meeting everybody. Do this before accepting the job or signing any paperwork and it could be the best way to tell if you feel you should make the move.

Although my work is purely short term contracts I always do this after a physical interview if I think the project sounds interesting and the interview has went well. I've walked out of interviews before when I gauge they want free consultancy or have a toxic 'Barry Big Balls' superior or/and sour HR involvement.

On two occasions the interview has been great but then I meet the teams and surrounding areas, ask some key questions that aren't particularly detailed but reveal how chaotic the place is, and exit quickly stating that the workplace culture doesn't work for me. Some companies (finance) are toxic and have perfected the art of bs'ing in the interview, coming across amazingly well, only for it to be a lie to get you in the door.

From your undetailed overview of the job itself it sounds like you should be moving to the new role. You're still in a probation period in the current job in which you aren't entitled to any redundancy or extra benefits anyway, so you're not missing much.
                    I've seen the surrounding area, being outside of London it's nothing special but is fine. I'll see if I can meet more of the team, good suggestion. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                    X