• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Websites like Upwork for freelance in the tech industry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Websites like Upwork for freelance in the tech industry

Hello!

I've started to look into alternative ways of doing contractor work meanwhile I'm building my MSP, and I was wondering what are you experiences with broker websites like Upwork for example.

Can you get some meaninful work from these websites for IT industry? I can see lots of marketing related work, but not much IT related.

Are these other websites better than Upwork in your opinion?

Rubbish, no, none

What’s your skill base

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Rubbish, no, none

What’s your skill base

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Office 365, focusing more and more on Teams, Sharepoint and training people how to use the tools properly to collaborate.

Any other places for advertising this kind of work in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by techperson View Post
        Office 365, focusing more and more on Teams, Sharepoint and training people how to use the tools properly to collaborate.

Any other places for advertising this kind of work in your opinion?
        Online work is offsite work which means you are competing against Indians doing it as a sideline.

Good luck getting a living out of it.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

<Mod Snip - Pointless comment telling others to do a search>
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 14 February 2020, 11:02. Reason: see post
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

...have been discussed before many times.

there's plenty of them out there. But you won't earn much if any at all on them. Like people have said before these are race to bottom rates.
            Would you do a 30+ hours gig on Upwork for only $10 USD / hour = equates to 300$ for roughly 3.5 working days in a week.

Don't know USD/GBP exchange rate off top my head (and too lazy to google right now) but about 0.75 rate meaning £230 for just under a week!
            I'm sure most people here earn around £500 or above daily working on a contract. Even inside IR35 rates are probably worth more than those on UpWork.
            EDIT: You can off course take on multiple gigs at once but do you really have time to do the actual work?

I explored them too but then soon decided it's not worth it.

Freelance sites like those I concluded are good for people who have extra time on their hands & want to earn extra cash + also for people from India and i gather money value in India is much less than here (couple years ago my ex- indian colleague once told me that the value of £60K over there is like billionaire material or something like that...)
            Last edited by BritishLad88; 12 February 2020, 22:25.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Online work is offsite work which means you are competing against Indians doing it as a sideline.

Good luck getting a living out of it.
              Yes, but some are better than others. Upwork in particular seems less race to the bottom and there are customers like me who filter on UK only.

I agree they aren't really competing with decent contract roles

Comment

i'll research a bit more indeed, apologies.

My idea was to go after people that are more concerned with the quality of work delivered than costs. I'm starting to put more customers on board of my MSP which is slowly working out, so the idea was to try to fill some gaps in between with some other work.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by techperson View Post
                  i'll research a bit more indeed, apologies.

My idea was to go after people that are more concerned with the quality of work delivered than costs. I'm starting to put more customers on board of my MSP which is slowly working out, so the idea was to try to fill some gaps in between with some other work.

Thanks for the advice
                  Spend that off time networking and finding more customers.

Ask your existing customers to refer you and try to work out what a referral bonus looks like.

There are a lot better ways to spend you time than chasing low paid bits of work especially as on the skill based site you will need to work for a while to get references before you can charge more..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Spend that off time networking and finding more customers.

Ask your existing customers to refer you and try to work out what a referral bonus looks like.

There are a lot better ways to spend you time than chasing low paid bits of work especially as on the skill based site you will need to work for a while to get references before you can charge more..
                    Yeah, I'm doing that alreayd, I just thought an extra channel would be worth but like you guys said, it is more a race to the bottom and I want to steer clear from that. I can get much better stuff by meeting face to face with people

Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X