• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest permietractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The only thing that gets NLUK going at his age is electrodes.....
    and the little blue pills

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      and the little blue pills
      I just put em in my eyes to look hard.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Guy at current client 13 years..... Got to be be fair thats good going......

Im on 3 years now which is my record. Got a few 2 1/2 years before that.

#permietractor
        LTD or umbrella?

I think most contractors via LTD's know they are pushing their luck if they remain at the same client 2+ years.

However, it doesn't matter how long you're with a client if umbrella as you're not a target.

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
          LTD or umbrella?

I think most contractors via LTD's know they are pushing their luck if they remain at the same client 2+ years.

However, it doesn't matter how long you're with a client if umbrella as you're not a target.
          Sadly I'd disagree with term most contractors know. Looking at the average length of time of the GSK guys. 3 to 4 years plus and most of them didn't have a clue why they'd been targeted.

Id argue very few appreciate the problems a long gig can cause.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did 4.5 years once. Regretted it later. Wished I had travelled more and spent time at more clients. That’s in a 21 year period of contracting. It’s was local and I got comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              because they can't get rid of me now really.
              You're tempting fate there a bit geezer

Comment

14 years so far. But it is just two days per week. Since I'll be training some permies to hand over to, I expect it to be over by the year end. But maybe not. I know a contractor who was supposed to do just that. As soon as he got someone trained up, he'd leave. So they renewed his contract. He stayed until he retired - bought a villa in Turkey and retired there back in 2005.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  14 years so far. But it is just two days per week. Since I'll be training some permies to hand over to, I expect it to be over by the year end. But maybe not. I know a contractor who was supposed to do just that. As soon as he got someone trained up, he'd leave. So they renewed his contract. He stayed until he retired - bought a villa in Turkey and retired there back in 2005.
                  Long term contracts would be celebrated in every other business sector out there.

But when it comes to IT, people go out of their way to put down and vilify the contractors who have managed to sustain long term working relationships. So long as you don't allow yourself to become part & parcel, then there is no reason why you can't remain outside IR35 on long term arrangements.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Long term contracts would be celebrated in every other business sector out there.

But when it comes to IT, people go out of their way to put down and vilify the contractors who have managed to sustain long term working relationships. So long as you don't allow yourself to become part & parcel, then there is no reason why you can't remain outside IR35 on long term arrangements.
                    That depends. I know some places where they think short gigs on the CV are bad and expect their contractors to have done at least two years in all their previous gigs. Totally don't get that some projects are short - they just assume short roles mean you're no good.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Long term relationships are great, but let's face it, as a PSC working somewhere full time for years you are going to become part and parcel. At that point it's more human psychology than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X