Longest permietractor Longest permietractor - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 73
  1. #11

    Double Godlike!

    BR14 is always on top

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    10,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The only thing that gets NLUK going at his age is electrodes.....
    and the little blue pills
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    42,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    and the little blue pills
    I just put em in my eyes to look hard.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #13

    Should post faster

    CompoundOverload is too good to be a permie


    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Guy at current client 13 years..... Got to be be fair thats good going......

    Im on 3 years now which is my record. Got a few 2 1/2 years before that.

    #permietractor
    LTD or umbrella?

    I think most contractors via LTD's know they are pushing their luck if they remain at the same client 2+ years.

    However, it doesn't matter how long you're with a client if umbrella as you're not a target.

  4. #14

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk has reached the peak. Play again?

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    42,738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CompoundOverload View Post
    LTD or umbrella?

    I think most contractors via LTD's know they are pushing their luck if they remain at the same client 2+ years.

    However, it doesn't matter how long you're with a client if umbrella as you're not a target.
    Sadly I'd disagree with term most contractors know. Looking at the average length of time of the GSK guys. 3 to 4 years plus and most of them didn't have a clue why they'd been targeted.

    Id argue very few appreciate the problems a long gig can cause.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #15

    Nervous Newbie

    rossb2 has no reputation


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Did 4.5 years once. Regretted it later. Wished I had travelled more and spent time at more clients. That’s in a 21 year period of contracting. It’s was local and I got comfortable.

  6. #16

    Contractor Among Contractors

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    because they can't get rid of me now really.
    You're tempting fate there a bit geezer

  7. #17

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    22,138

    Default

    14 years so far. But it is just two days per week. Since I'll be training some permies to hand over to, I expect it to be over by the year end. But maybe not. I know a contractor who was supposed to do just that. As soon as he got someone trained up, he'd leave. So they renewed his contract. He stayed until he retired - bought a villa in Turkey and retired there back in 2005.
    <-2 5m->

  8. #18

    Godlike

    ChimpMaster is NOT a disguised employee

    ChimpMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    5,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    14 years so far. But it is just two days per week. Since I'll be training some permies to hand over to, I expect it to be over by the year end. But maybe not. I know a contractor who was supposed to do just that. As soon as he got someone trained up, he'd leave. So they renewed his contract. He stayed until he retired - bought a villa in Turkey and retired there back in 2005.
    Long term contracts would be celebrated in every other business sector out there.

    But when it comes to IT, people go out of their way to put down and vilify the contractors who have managed to sustain long term working relationships. So long as you don't allow yourself to become part & parcel, then there is no reason why you can't remain outside IR35 on long term arrangements.

  9. #19

    Godlike

    ladymuck is always on top

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Long term contracts would be celebrated in every other business sector out there.

    But when it comes to IT, people go out of their way to put down and vilify the contractors who have managed to sustain long term working relationships. So long as you don't allow yourself to become part & parcel, then there is no reason why you can't remain outside IR35 on long term arrangements.
    That depends. I know some places where they think short gigs on the CV are bad and expect their contractors to have done at least two years in all their previous gigs. Totally don't get that some projects are short - they just assume short roles mean you're no good.

  10. #20

    Super poster

    vwdan - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Long term contracts would be celebrated in every other business sector out there.

    But when it comes to IT, people go out of their way to put down and vilify the contractors who have managed to sustain long term working relationships. So long as you don't allow yourself to become part & parcel, then there is no reason why you can't remain outside IR35 on long term arrangements.
    Long term relationships are great, but let's face it, as a PSC working somewhere full time for years you are going to become part and parcel. At that point it's more human psychology than anything else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •