• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest permietractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That depends. I know some places where they think short gigs on the CV are bad and expect their contractors to have done at least two years in all their previous gigs. Totally don't get that some projects are short - they just assume short roles mean you're no good.
    Recently interviewed for a short SOS mission (Get in, fix, get out - literally no scope for anything else whatsoever) - even for that in the interview they commented favourably that my last few contracts had been 12 monthers. So thanks, you're literally offering a role that you'd view as a negative next time round.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
      Back in the day, it was not unusual for contractors at BPX in Aberdeen to have been on site for over 16 years. I think that one guy had been there since the days of BNOC in Glasgow. It had been pretty much his whole career.
      I knew a guy at bp who had been a contractor there for over 20 years ... before he finally converted to a permie.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Guy at current client 13 years..... Got to be be fair thats good going......

Im on 3 years now which is my record. Got a few 2 1/2 years before that.

#permietractor
        the longest i'm willing to do is 1 year max these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Long term contracts would be celebrated in every other business sector out there.

But when it comes to IT, people go out of their way to put down and vilify the contractors who have managed to sustain long term working relationships. So long as you don't allow yourself to become part & parcel, then there is no reason why you can't remain outside IR35 on long term arrangements.
          I cheated by leaving the country.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I cheated by leaving the country.
            And oh how we cheered!!
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And oh how we cheered!!
              And who the hell invited him to the CUK meet up?

At least I had the sense to pretend to be ill to avoid him.

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
                LTD or umbrella?

I think most contractors via LTD's know they are pushing their luck if they remain at the same client 2+ years.

However, it doesn't matter how long you're with a client if umbrella as you're not a target.
                Hmm not sure if length of time makes any odds. Apart from not being able to claim expenses near the two year mark which is a right pisser.

Umbrella last 3 years for me. No hassle. Despite massive tax uplifted rate to counter. Easy life.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  And who the hell invited him to the CUK meet up?

At least I had the sense to pretend to be ill to avoid him.
                  And oh how we cheered!!

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by rossb2 View Post
                    Did 4.5 years once. Regretted it later. Wished I had travelled more and spent time at more clients. That’s in a 21 year period of contracting. It’s was local and I got comfortable.
                    Yeh the local gig curse. I did that once. Client manager was a C@nt. It was a crap place to work. BUT I stayed because it was local.

In the end, it just made me ill. Ended up taking a gig 55 miles away....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Hmm not sure if length of time makes any odds. Apart from not being able to claim expenses near the two year mark which is a right pisser.

Umbrella last 3 years for me. No hassle. Despite massive tax uplifted rate to counter. Easy life.
                      yep, that extra £5/day goes a long way in wales.

Comment

Working...
                      X