• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployed Britons ‘will take place of low‑skilled migrants’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It's another con being spun by the Govt.
    ^ This.

Plus Universal Credit invented by an incredibly stupid bald git.

Never mind, once Cummings the Ugly Mother****er gets his Gestapo Thought Police up & running we'll be in the best possible of worlds.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
      In central London. All I see is food places hiring almost 100% non uk nationals on £6 per hour. Starbucks, Pret A Manger, Eat, Itsu etc.
      Well obviously if that is true you need to report this as they're breaking the law and I would suggest that you refer all these people getting this amount to go here: Pay and work rights helpline and complaints - GOV.UK
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Mass low skilled immigration makes no sense. Yes, it increases the GDP, but that extra wealth is simply shared out among a similar or greater increase in population, leaving the average person no better off. If it was GDP that mattered, one would be much better off living in Bangladesh than Luxemburg. The failure of immigration to increase what is important, the GDP per capita, has been confirmed by a House of Lords committee.

Migration at all levels also drives demands, negating the positives. Yes they help to build houses, provide doctors etc but, due to the population increase, we need more house, doctors etc.

We do have a big problem with low productivity in the UK, too many fast food shops, nail bars etc. We need more focus on high skill and technology to produce a more productive economy.

As for the "ageing population" problem, that was caused by a big boom in population after WW2. So a sensible way to address that is to fuel another big boom in population? Seriously?

Even the lefty Guardian says the Australian model drives GDP per capita:

The Treasury and home affairs report said immigration increased GDP per person because the focus on skilled migrants of working age helped to improve Australia’s productivity.
        Migrants add to Australia's wealth, government report finds | Australia news | The Guardian
        Last edited by xoggoth; 19 February 2020, 20:22.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

We should also take into account the realities regarding previous commonwealth migration. Some ethnic groups are significantly more likely to be unemployed. Fixing these inequalities by getting them into decent work should be a major priority.

Unemployment - GOV.UK Ethnicity facts and figures
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            We should also take into account the realities regarding previous commonwealth migration. Some ethnic groups are significantly more likely to be unemployed. Fixing these inequalities by getting them into decent work should be a major priority.

Unemployment - GOV.UK Ethnicity facts and figures
            How about those who do pull their fingers out not being discriminated against due to their names.
            After all it isn't their fault their parents called them something like "Mohammed." Why your name matters in the search for a job - BBC News
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Die protestantische Ethik und der Geist des Kapitalismus!

FTW!
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                So unemployed who are perfectly happy being unemployed Will suddenly apply for jobs they could apply for today anyhoo??

What am I missing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Unemployment benefits to be cut. Hopefully to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  No its going to be all the contractors who won't take inside roles and will soon become unemployed
                  That's me at the moment
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                    That's me at the moment
                    Why not? Your net rate would still be higher than a permies gross.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The problem is maybe not as large as some people make out but it is a problem.

I live in a town with quite high unemployment in the southwest. HOWEVER, there are job constantly being advertised on local groups. There is a MAJOR infrastructure project in the way of a nuclear power station being build and we've created housing for 10000 migrant workers.

I suspect if I wanted to, I could get a local job tomorrow doing something.

So why do we have high unemployment? because people are moaning on those same groups that:

1. the hours don't suit them and they only want to work 930am to 3pm and childcare makes them no better off - no, it doesnt, but it means the tax payer isn't paying for you to sit at home
                      2. its manual labour and they might break a nail - Tough
                      3. They don't want to work shifts as they'll never see their partner - some of us don't see their partner mon-fr but we do it to earn money
                      4. It doesnt pay enough - well if migrants can live on it, it must be possible

It is that section of the unemployed that need to be made to go out to work. And yes, I think we are getting to the point where it is MAKE not encourage because encouragement and filling the hole with migrants is not working.

Why ship in low skilled workers when we have ANY unemployment in this country?

Comment

Working...
                      X