• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unemployed Britons ‘will take place of low‑skilled migrants’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    How about those who do pull their fingers out not being discriminated against due to their names.
    After all it isn't their fault their parents called them something like "Mohammed." Why your name matters in the search for a job - BBC News
    Making it harder to get staff by reducing migration is likely to make it harder to discriminate against people like that.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

This plan by the governments fits in well with the changes to IR35.

Soon many thousands of ex-contractors (i.e. unemployed Britons) will be queueing up to take the place of low-skilled migrants.

Dibs on McDonalds - at least my lunch will be paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        If it was GDP that mattered, one would be much better off living in Bangladesh than Luxemburg. The failure of immigration to increase what is important, the GDP per capita, has been confirmed by a House of Lords committee.
        I have taken offence at that comment. Bangladesh has a higher GDP per capita than many other countries. According to WIKI, the IMF has Bangladesh at 136. Burundi would have been a better candidate at 184. Despite being occupied by the British and then by Pakistan , Bangladesh has done remarkably well and it's per capita income is better than Pakistan. If you look at India, 1INR = 1.18 BDT. India trades in Dollars with it's next door neighbour!

Comment

The new points based minimum salary requirements are above that of the starting salaries for nurses, radiographers and a host of other similar vocations. So are they all unskilled jobs that you can pick out an unemployed brexiteer from Wetherspoons to do instead ?
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Why not? Your net rate would still be higher than a permies gross.
            No Rights Employee

If they want, they can employ me, that's why.
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              No Rights Employee

If they want, they can employ me, that's why.
              Fair enough, YMMV. I wish you luck.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by mookiemoo View Post
                The problem is maybe not as large as some people make out but it is a problem.

I live in a town with quite high unemployment in the southwest. HOWEVER, there are job constantly being advertised on local groups. There is a MAJOR infrastructure project in the way of a nuclear power station being build and we've created housing for 10000 migrant workers.

I suspect if I wanted to, I could get a local job tomorrow doing something.

So why do we have high unemployment? because people are moaning on those same groups that:

1. the hours don't suit them and they only want to work 930am to 3pm and childcare makes them no better off - no, it doesnt, but it means the tax payer isn't paying for you to sit at home
                2. its manual labour and they might break a nail - Tough
                3. They don't want to work shifts as they'll never see their partner - some of us don't see their partner mon-fr but we do it to earn money
                4. It doesnt pay enough - well if migrants can live on it, it must be possible

It is that section of the unemployed that need to be made to go out to work. And yes, I think we are getting to the point where it is MAKE not encourage because encouragement and filling the hole with migrants is not working.

Why ship in low skilled workers when we have ANY unemployment in this country?
                I can see at least one obvious flaw in your argument (there are other assumptions/fallacies).

Many migrants come for a few years, live in HMOs very cheaply, save as much money as possible then return home to buy land/a house outright as the currency / cost of living differential makes it worth it.

If I still had a mortgage and there was some other country where the wages were x10 higher than the UK and I could nail it for 5 years and move life on by 30 back home, you bet I and millions of others would be over there nailing it faster than you can say "auf wiedersehen pet".

Most people become incredibly motivated if they have a purpose, just doing some low wage zero hour contract job with no prospect of bettering yourself wouldn't make many people glad to get up in the morning and that would include all those hard working eastern Europeans everyone deifies.
                Last edited by PlanB; 20 February 2020, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  The new points based minimum salary requirements are above that of the starting salaries for nurses, radiographers and a host of other similar vocations. So are they all unskilled jobs that you can pick out an unemployed brexiteer from Wetherspoons to do instead ?
                  But if those jobs are in the "Job in a shortage occupation" category then that adds 20 points. If you can speak English and have a job offer/sponsorship from an employer then you have the necessary points score.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    Probably the government will slightly raise the minimum wage and on the other hand will massively reduce/cut benefits and jsa.

Unemployed will either start working or starve to death.
                    Huzzah!!

Those able to work should work.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      No its going to be all the contractors who won't take inside roles and will soon become unemployed
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X