• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ZX Spectrum Next - Unboxing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZX Spectrum Next - Unboxing

I backed the ZX Spectrum Next project on Kickstarter back in April 2017, with an expected delivery date of January 2018. But in the finest tradition of the British home computer industry of the early 1980s, that date kept slipping, though the people running the project were very good at keeping backers informed - emails at least every month, with exhaustive details of the reasons for the latest delays. As so often back then, it was usually hardware that was the problem. The keyboard alone must have been through at least five iterations of prototyping until they were satisfied with it.

Anyway, perfectionism finally triumphed, and today it arrived!

Herewith, the unboxing; click on photos to embiggen:

Front of the box

Back of the box…

…with a list of specs

Inside: a lovely-looking machine, maybe a bit smaller than a Spectrum Plus 3 (remember that?); power supply in the black box above

Underneath: a nice thick manual

Of course, no computer manual is complete without a memory map, or in this case two

And you also need a detailed list of hardware registers

And finally, Jet Set Willy ain’t getting written without a tutorial on Z80 assembly language programming!

I haven’t actually turned it on yet, as that involves scrabbling round behind the telly swapping cables on my hands and knees - something I found considerably easier in the 1980s

So pics of the beast in action to follow once my back is up to it

As a vic20 and then commodore 64 owner i cant relate to this post.

Comment

That makes me want to break the +2 and +3 out the loft.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        As a vic20 and then commodore 64 owner i cant relate to this post.
        I was always an Acorn guy myself, though when I was working as a games programmer later in the 1980s I did the 16-bit stuff (MS-DOS, ST, Amiga). But I learned a fair amount about the Spectrum from my colleagues who did the 8-bit stuff, so I thought it was about time I got into Z80 ASM

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          I was always an Acorn guy myself, though when I was working as a games programmer later in the 1980s I did the 16-bit stuff (MS-DOS, ST, Amiga). But I learned a fair amount about the Spectrum from my colleagues who did the 8-bit stuff, so I thought it was about time I got into Z80 ASM
          Ahh the Acorn, how i longed for one. But i did end up with an Amiga.

Comment

Bunch of kids. I learned machine code on a ZX81.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

bought the Atari 520ST when it first came out, because of the midi interface. Loved that thing. 16 track midi studio (cubase) on one 720K floppy. Superb stuff.
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Bunch of kids. I learned machine code on a ZX81.
                i learned assembler on a s/360 jungen.

Comment

I’d start the school's PDP-8/e by inputting the machine code bootstrap for the high-speed punched paper tape reader in binary, via the toggle switches on the front

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    bought the Atari 520ST when it first came out, because of the midi interface. Loved that thing. 16 track midi studio (cubase) on one 720K floppy. Superb stuff.
                    cubase was the dogs cojones.
                    <i've had a parallel career in IT and music>.
                    the atari really was a fecking breakthough in bringing digital mixing to small independent studios.

sorry nick, a bit off topic.
                    i'll shut up now

Comment

Working...
                    X