• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ZX Spectrum Next - Unboxing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    sorry nick, a bit off topic.
    i'll shut up now

Nah, it’s all good

I liked the ST; good machine. I implemented Forth on it

Comment

Still waiting for a genuine quantum leap in computing.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

cubase was the dogs cojones.
        <i've had a parallel career in IT and music>.
        the atari really was a fecking breakthough in bringing digital mixing to small independent studios.

sorry nick, a bit off topic.
        i'll shut up now

Did you have that dodgy 'from the barras' version of Cubase registered to 'Mike Hunt' ???
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Did you have that dodgy 'from the barras' version of Cubase registered to 'Mike Hunt' ???
          no.
          i lived in norf lahndahn by then

Comment

no.
            i lived in norf lahndahn by then
            Ah, 91-93, before I left thE civil service and started contracting, I had an Atari stall at the Barras, doing just music software and midi files :-) I wor a proper dodgy geezer then.....
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Looks a lot like the Sinclair QL ... without the built in microdrives
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Looks a lot like the Sinclair QL ... without the built in microdrives
                Or the 68008.

I find it odd that the Z80 is still in current production whereas the 6809 died the death 25 years ago, and the 68008 about 10 years ago.

It's a funny old world.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Or the 68008.

I find it odd that the Z80 is still in current production whereas the 6809 died the death 25 years ago, and the 68008 about 10 years ago.

It's a funny old world.
                  Well, special production. I think it’s the same reason you can buy boxes of sherbet dips, cola bottles and assorted other sweets from the 80s and 90s. There’s a market among the 40-50 somethings who have money to spend and remember that stuff. It’s a bit of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    Or the 68008.

It's a funny old world.
                    The 68008 was found in a few "cheaper" VME boards - I use the term "cheaper" as relative.

A little bit of trivia, Alan Parsons used an ST in his studio. On that note, "Lucifer" used to be my favourite track by TAPP. Now it's "Old and Wise". Maybe one day...

Anyway, I didn't invest in the "ZX Spectrum Next" - but I've put my name down as an EOI for the next batch.

Well done NF, be interested to see if you do anything with it other than play games.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Well, special production. I think it’s the same reason you can buy boxes of sherbet dips, cola bottles and assorted other sweets from the 80s and 90s. There’s a market among the 40-50 somethings who have money to spend and remember that stuff. It’s a bit of fun.
                      The Z80 isn't special production, neither is the 6502. You can buy enhanced versions but they didn't suffer from the "Bigger, Faster" fever that gripped the 80x86 and 680x0 family of processors subsequently killing off the older versions like the 68008.

The Z80s and 6502s are available from mainstream distributors like RS, farnell, mouser etc.

My latest project uses a Z180, 512KB of RAM, 1MB of FLASH, has a compact flash a micro SD interface and runs FUzix. I've ported "FreeScott" so can run the old Scott Adams games - on two terminals!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X