• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coronovirus DOOM thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

From a Sarajevo War Survivor:
      Stockpiling helps, but you never no how long trouble will last, so locate near renewable food sources.
      Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden.
      After awhile, even gold can lose its luster. But there is no luxury in war quite like toilet paper. Its surplus value is greater than gold’s.
      If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it’s the easiest to do without (unless you’re in a very nice climate with no need for heat.)
      Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to “warm”, not to cook. It’s cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk.
      Bring some books - escapist ones like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it’s great to have a lot of survival guides, but you’ll figure most of that out on your own anyway - trust me, you’ll have a lot of time on your hands.
      The feeling that you’re human can fade pretty fast. I can’t tell you how many people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting if you have to lose your humanity. These things are morale-builders like nothing else.
      Slow burning candles and matches, matches, matches.
      More matches
      This nugget of wisdom is perhaps the reason some people have been panic buying the stuff. I must confess it is the reason I did - just days before the panic buying started in general.

Comment

Working...
      X