• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When I were a lad...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    + 1

There does not appear to be a market anymore
    If everyone on this forum who is benched, can come up with a new process / terminology to replace Agile, that requires 2 to 4 times the number of developers / testers / etc. then it might help the state of the market. Especially if includes 50% of the team must be free thinking contractors ( outside IR35) in order to maintain cadence and innovation

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
      If everyone on this forum who is benched, can come up with a new process / terminology to replace Agile, that requires 2 to 4 times the number of developers / testers / etc. then it might help the state of the market. Especially if includes 50% of the team must be free thinking contractors ( outside IR35) in order to maintain cadence and innovation
      Capitalism is the worst form of economics apart from all the rest- Winston Churchill.

Agile is the worst development methodology apart from all the rest- Me just now

You get good companies and/or teams within a company and bad. Making blanket statements of agile = this process/outcome

- is nonsense.

Agile is dead anyway remember. Its been superceeded by Devops - that not only encompasses infrastructure and software dev - but also product development. Hmm yea right - good one.

Although the Devops hype train appears to be losing momentum.

I was in a contract that had just wrapped up a failed agile transformation so they decided on a devops transformation next. But some agile coaches still on board bizarely.

So as apart of the devops consultancy I would be in meetings with the agile coaches too. Did any of these methodologies make any difference. No - the whole company was a disjointed, shambles from top to bottom.

Comment

Watergile. Its what many clients are using.

Comment

Already been done

a new process / terminology to replace Agile, that requires 2 to 4 times the number of developers / testers / etc.
          Give it to Accenture.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            Give it to Accenture.
            INSTALL/none ???

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
              not only encompasses infrastructure and software dev - but also product development.
              That reminds me of my week long training in Lean UX. It is something like Agile extended to product development. After all, since you are expecting the devs to manage themselves, do operations and deployments and testing, you might as well get them to design the product as well. We were LITERALLY told to go to the bus station and ask people whether one page layout was better than another. Absolute hell.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                That reminds me of my week long training in Lean UX. It is something like Agile extended to product development. After all, since you are expecting the devs to manage themselves, do operations and deployments and testing, you might as well get them to design the product as well. We were LITERALLY told to go to the bus station and ask people whether one page layout was better than another. Absolute hell.
                Lean UX. Nice one. Lets just append or prepend random buzzwords to everything. It just gets annoying after 2 decades of this endless rebadging and constant terminology flux. How about Full Stack Design. Thats my favourite.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                  Dream on. HSBC is full of permie style contractors. And not many of them have niche skills. It's always been the case that if you can't get a contract anywhere else that HSBC will probably take you. It also used to be the case that RBS was a good backup, but that hasn't been true for a long while now.

There will be lots of contractors willing to go inside (or via whatever payment mechanism HSBC have come up with) in the next year or so. It's a buyers market at the moment. Therefore they will have lots of people to deliver.
                  Once interviewed at HSBC. The manager was a contractor who proudly said how long they'd been there and didn't take kindly to me asking why they wanted a contractor for what was clearly a BAU role. Oddly enough, never got a call back.

Comment

Originally posted by rocktronAMP View Post
                    I deal you another card in this game: Lloyds Banking Group or rather HBOS / BOS with contractors approaching 5 years in the same place.

I'm so glad that I left investment banking behind several years ago, when it is Mr. Dodd and Mrs. Frank and the rubbishy XML Schema reporting tulip ...
                    XML oh the memories!

Legacy systems supported by old hand contractors, some there for 10+ years.

When it came to upgrade them oddly the old hands were not keen on the replacement and claimed not fit for purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                      sounds like the place i'm in right now!

the other day a 10+ years contractor was telling me: "from next week on, you'll get to work with cool modern tech in XML... ". I was thinking in my head "really??? XML? Modern?"

in another time, i told that same contractor and another few (who also been there for 10+ years) that we should upgrade the software systems/tech etc.. to latest tech and they obv wasnt keen on replacing saying same things like its not fit for the job, doesn't add value blah blah.
                      What are they using XML for? Don't tell me they are hooked up to a service bus and they have SOAP flying around.

That reminds me of my last contract at a bank 10 years ago, from what I'd heard they'd never changed.

Nothing like a couple of thousand lines of XQuery to put hairs on your chest.

Comment

Working...
                      X